ATM's?

hyundridz

Jul 12, 2006
I am visiting Cabarete in October. This is the first time I've left the country (from U.S.) since I was like 12 so I dont know a lot about travel. My question is, do they have ATM's in the DR that connect to U.S. bank accounts? I dont feel comfortable carrying around all the cash I'll need and I'm not too familiar with traveler's checks.

G

gary short

hyundridz said:
I am visiting Cabarete in October. This is the first time I've left the country (from U.S.) since I was like 12 so I dont know a lot about travel. My question is, do they have ATM's in the DR that connect to U.S. bank accounts? I dont feel comfortable carrying around all the cash I'll need and I'm not too familiar with traveler's checks.

YES............no worries......if you're just going for a couple three weeks..credit cards, ATM cards are hunky dory.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
It's not exactly no worries.
It would be good to double check with your bank that your ATM card works in the DR, and you have to be a bit careful of scams, so it is suggested that you use ATMs during banking hours.
You can use the search feature to look up stories about ATMs in this country and some of the frauds.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Also notify your credit card company that you are traveling to the DR. If you don't there is a good possibility that they will turn your card off after its first use. They may still turn it off even if notified but your chances are better if you notify them. I speak from experience on this in the DR.

Bob K

pma22222

Jun 27, 2006
American Express is now issuing a prepaid card that is essentially a debit card instead of travelers checks. Might want to look at that as well.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
What is the charge?

What is the charge for using ATM or credit card to get money from a bank in DR? Much more expensive then US? Sometimes they charge percentage of the transaction ...

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Bob K said:
Also notify your credit card company that you are traveling to the DR. If you don't there is a good possibility that they will turn your card off after its first use. They may still turn it off even if notified but your chances are better if you notify them. I speak from experience on this in the DR.

Bob K
Great advice Bob - had the same problem on one of my trips - very frustrating and hard to solve the problem once you are here...tom

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Avrora said:
What is the charge for using ATM or credit card to get money from a bank in DR? Much more expensive then US? Sometimes they charge percentage of the transaction ...
I think this will varely greatly by bank and by what plan you are on with your bank. Inquire at your local branch and they will be able to inform you on the charges based on the banking plan you currently use...tom

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
The best advise you'll ever get is "F" the ATM card, bring American Express Travelers Checks!

The banks in the DR do not play by the same rules as they do in the USA!

Boletero

Jun 16, 2006
what banks where u guys going to withdraw your money from? Never have had any problems with the banks, ill just make sure to withdraw from a stablished bank ^_^ Banco Central is a good start

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Banco Central is not a retail bank and does not have ATM's. That is the equivalent to the Federal Reserve.

Are you referring to Ban Reservas?

Boletero

Jun 16, 2006
Yeah thats the one, sorry for the confusion, also Banco Leon Jimenes in Santiago is good (i think i got the name right this time)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Are you referring to Banco Leon by any chance?
At least get the names correct when you randomly recommend banks, and why are you recommending them?

Boletero

Jun 16, 2006
they r the ones i always withdrew money from while i was in DR in Santiago, so i have no horror stories from them. sorry bout the names, been a while since i went home.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Tamborista said:
Banco Central is not a retail bank and does not have ATM's. That is the equivalent to the Federal Reserve.

Are you referring to Ban Reservas?
I usually like using BancReservas ATM as it requires the card to only be swiped rather than inserted. This eliminates the possibility of eating the card. But, I had an experience with the machine saying "Transaction canceled" when I was withdrawing 5,000 pesos. When I checked the my balance, the 5,000 was indeed deducted. They made good on returning the money, but I had to wait 8 business days.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I prefer to go inside the bank when making a sizeable withdrawal from my US based account.

I use my ATM card at the teller and incur no fee from my stateside bank. This eliminates the fear of my ATM card being eaten or copied.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I bank with Citibank here in NYC. I have never ever EVER had any problems with ATM machines in the DR. I am in the DR every three to 4 months. I ALWAYS use BancoPopular for my withdrawals. Used Banco De Leon once and Banco BHD once. But all the other times it's been with BancoPopular.

After I make my withdrawals I sign on to citibank.com to check if the amount debited is the correct amount and it always has been.

Like Tamborista said if you are going to withdraw a hefty sum go into the bank. Don't use the ATM. All you will need is the bank card and your passport.

That is my experience with ATMs. Maybe I'm lucky or something.

But definately like others have said check with your bank and notify them that you will be making withdrawals in the DR.

Good luck and keep us posted.

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
What I do is used my debit card from my bank in the U.S. they don't charge anything on you debit card. Only have to pay for the used of the bank in the DR.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
To the OP: There is a Banco Popular at one end of Cabarete, a BHD in the middle, and a Scotia Bank at the other end... all within walking distance of each other, all reliable. Ive never had a problem at any of them... or anywhere in the country for that matter... Many US Banks charge no fee to use other banks ATM's and the Banks here dont charge a fee (that's usually where you get charged in the US... the *other* bank). If you use your credit card instead of your ATM card, for a cash advance you will likely be charged a 1-3% transaction fee.