Quick answer needed please!

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I am leaving for the DR tomorrow morning and while reading through my holiday information today noted that Thomson Holidays give the following (rather unhelpful!) advice:

"Please note that some countries require that you carry photographic ID at all times. We suggest that this is not your passport."

Okey-dokey then! I'm not too bothered as have photographic driving license, but would rather not carry that all about with me either (bother to get a new one if lost!)

So answer please to the following: Is the DR one of the "some countries" Thomson refer to?? I've not read a "sniff" of such me'larky on here but wouldn't like to be stopped and asked for such ID should my suspicions be wrong!

Thanks lots to anyone able to give me the answer here! ATB Emma;)

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I doubt if there is such requirement in the DR, but it's probably a good idea to carry around a copy of your Passport or Drivers License.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Wait until you attend their tour reps introduction lectures at the hotels. You'll probably want to have a set of dental records and DNA sample available in case you want to venture away from the hotel.

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
I can't get a copy of my driving license now as too late (but in the UK the picture card is only half the license so if lost easier to replace than 'whole thing') CERTAINLY no hope of me getting hold of dental records!! :D...Do I NEED to have this ID though? IS it a "requirment" or just "preferable"??
ATB Emma ;)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Emma22 said:
I can't get a copy of my driving license now as too late (but in the UK the picture card is only half the license so if lost easier to replace than 'whole thing') CERTAINLY no hope of me getting hold of dental records!! :D...Do I NEED to have this ID though? IS it a "requirment" or just "preferable"??
ATB Emma ;)

I would say its just preferable.

where the people who actually live there or have been there recently, help Emma.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Don't worry about it. When you get here place your passport in a safe place, preferably under lock and key. The only time you will need it is you are going to cash any traveler's checks or possibly use your credit card for a cash advance in a bank.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I carry a colour photocopy of the information page of my passport. Never the original except for Migracion.

Never needed it - but who knows.

Gregg

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
HOWMAR said:
Wait until you attend their tour reps introduction lectures at the hotels. You'll probably want to have a set of dental records and DNA sample available in case you want to venture away from the hotel.

Don't scare the crap out of her :laugh:

Emma the only time I was asked to present my passport was at banks when cashing traveler's cheques.

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Ive just got back as you know and didnt carry anything Emma dont let all the meanies scare you!!

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
nickijay said:
Ive just got back as you know and didnt carry anything Emma dont let all the meanies scare you!!

Yeah! DARN Thomson I say! - VERY clear they put that paragraph in EVERYBODY'S "travel information" as they can't be bothered to differentiate!!! That's kinda annoyed me has that! No matter though, Emma is a fan of gum - thinking they could get a good dental impression to send back to the UK for comparison there!! :D...IF all things go wrong and all...:ninja:

Thomson have kinda given "vague" information over all - me not impressed!!!:(

ATB! Emma;)

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Emma22 said:
Yeah! DARN Thomson I say! - VERY clear they put that paragraph in EVERYBODY'S "travel information" as they can't be bothered to differentiate!!! That's kinda annoyed me has that! No matter though, Emma is a fan of gum - thinking they could get a good dental impression to send back to the UK for comparison there!! :D...IF all things go wrong and all...:ninja:

Thomson have kinda given "vague" information over all - me not impressed!!!:(

ATB! Emma;)

I couldnt agree more, I booked our ocean world trip through the aqua center, i'd rather my money went to a local company. I belive they are cheaper than thompson too, not on ocean world tho its a set price and worth every penny!

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
OH! JUST outside Casa Marina is this tour company that does THE SAME tours for cheaper (but not Ocean World as set entry prices). Somebody sent me the link on here a while back - is it "Mels"? - Knowing it's just outside Casa Marina anyways and that is where I plan to go...Thompson can "jump for my pennies" given the "SOME countries" they fed me - like "Ehhh?"
ATB Emma ;)

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Thats right Melissa tours, very friendly ppl in there but i put my business the aqua centers way as ive got pals working there. The rep will try to tell you they arent insured and that crap but im sure its just more scaremongering it states on their leaflets that they are fully insured.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Emma22 said:
OH! JUST outside Casa Marina is this tour company that does THE SAME tours for cheaper (but not Ocean World as set entry prices). Somebody sent me the link on here a while back - is it "Mels"? - Knowing it's just outside Casa Marina anyways and that is where I plan to go...Thompson can "jump for my pennies" given the "SOME countries" they fed me - like "Ehhh?"
ATB Emma ;)

Mel's (not Melissa) Tours, is right outside Casa Marina. He has two offices outside the CM. He is straight-up, excellent to deal with, and his tours are great and much more affordable than dealing with reps. I've personally had wonderful experiences with Mel... Say hi to them for me!

Emma22

Jun 13, 2006
*nods* - YUP! That is indeed what I too believe - Mels are fully insured but others would rather tourists not know that! ATB! Emma ;)

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
trina said:
Mel's (not Melissa) Tours, is right outside Casa Marina. He has two offices outside the CM. He is straight-up, excellent to deal with, and his tours are great and much more affordable than dealing with reps. I've personally had wonderful experiences with Mel... Say hi to them for me!

Sori, there is a melissa tours just up the road from casa marina also.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Been five times to dom with thomson never told me to carry id but you will need your driving licence if you are going to hire a car, Shop about for a car i get one for about £15.00 a day have a nice time

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Not a question of meanies.

nickijay said:

Went to Dept. of Motor Vehicles this Am in NYC to get non drivers lic. for my 88 year old Mom that needsto travel out of state next month. Clerk could not believe she didnt have ID.
My point is -today in this society of ID theft, security issues, terrorist etc, I would think dont leave hotel without something.
Whats the point of leaving ID in room? Accident in calle. Exchange money. Hit by gua gua.
C'mon whats the point?

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
I always travel with a photocopy of my passport in a separate place. Once, in Spain, my passport was in my purse and stolen. I took the copy to the Embassy the next day and was issued a new passport in two hours. I know, not the D.R., but a good example anyway.

If I had not had that photocopy of my passport, it would have been days or longer for a new passport.