Curiosities of the DR

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
About two weeks ago I was in Santiago and accompanied my mom to the bank. She was closing an account. As we approached the teller a security guard comes out of nowhere and tells me to take my baseball cap off. I did no problem.

I think this was done for some security reason. This request or order has never been made of me in any bank in NY. Is it that the MO of bank robbers in the DR is to wear baseball caps to hide their face or something. Why not just put a woman's stocking over their heads. Just wondering if this is normal in the DR, and does it really make a difference.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The hat could conceal a weapon.
No sunglasses allowed either in most banks, security issue for the cameras.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
thanatos said:
About two weeks ago I was in Santiago and accompanied my mom to the bank. She was closing an account. As we approached the teller a security guard comes out of nowhere and tells me to take my baseball cap off. I did no problem.

I think this was done for some security reason. This request or order has never been made of me in any bank in NY. Is it that the MO of bank robbers in the DR is to wear baseball caps to hide their face or something. Why not just put a woman's stocking over their heads. Just wondering if this is normal in the DR, and does it really make a difference.

The overhead CC-TV camaras cannot take a good shot of your face if you have a cap on. and also you are asked to take your shades off. However, you are allowed to keep your fake mustache, beard, even your wig, and other facial ornaments you might be wearing. Net stockings over your face are a no no, unless you carry a gun and your confederates have already neutralized the guards...

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Its not much different in the UK, but the big no no here is wearing a motorcycle helmet. That wouldnt be a problem in the dr as no one wears them anyways!

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
thanatos said:
This request or order has never been made of me in any bank in NY.
When was the last time you've seen a guard, armed or unarmed, in a US bank? They would rather deal with an insurance claim for robbery than incite any confrontation.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Tamborista said:

I learned that a few trips ago. Went to BancoPopular and was asked to remove my sun glasses. I asked why and the guard said it was for security reasons. So I took them off. No biggie.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Frank the Tank said:
Isn't also proper manners for a gentleman to remove his hat when goes inside???
I'm no gentleman until I have my nice cold presidente. Too early that morning.

reshamm

Jul 21, 2006
This is a new type of security maintained now..

Tamborista said:

TRUE. This happens not ONLY in movies, but reality too.

I thinkt hat they should have a type of monitor which detects weapons, like in airports and hypermarkets (at the cashiers)..it's stoopid to tell someone to take cap. :p

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
I was told to take off perscription sunglasses at the bank on my last visit. It made my transaction a little more difficult.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
When the last time you heard of bank robbers crashing in tying up all the guards, spray-painting all the surveillance cameras and forcing the customers to lay down while they empty the vault? "Dog Day Afternoon"

Now a days bank robbers just hand over notes to the tellers like "I got a bomb"

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
jruane44 said:
I was told to take off perscription sunglasses at the bank on my last visit. It made my transaction a little more difficult.
Where did this take place.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
They only make you take them off for the camera to capture a picture!
I guess you did not understand the guard's request.
I hope you counted your money afterwards.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Tamborista said:
What about my pockets. Ah they forgot about that.lol:ermm:

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Direct Approach

nickijay said:
... but the big no no here is wearing a motorcycle helmet. That wouldnt be a problem in the dr as no one wears them anyways!

The law requires you to wear a helmet.
So if you ride your motorbike up to the teller's there won't be a problem at all.

m'frog