Cell (mobile!) phone and orange coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I have a unlocked GSM phone that I'll bring (fairly cheap and old one so not worried about it being stolen). I think I can get a pay as you go DR Orange SIM card for it, how much is it ? (Are the following free of charge with these cards; Incoming international calls, Voicemail, Caller ID number ?)

How much is the calling card rate to call UK (using this phone and this DR SIM card, not the landline) ?

Also I hear the Orange coverage is not that good in North Coast, is there a latest report/experience ?

Also perhaps if I lost the phone (or it didn't work) how much is it to get a cheap phone with DR connection in Sosua/POP ?

Thanks in advance.

skyblue

Mar 20, 2006
Orange has the BEST coverage on the north coast!!!!! verizon is horrible. i currently have both services and I HATE VERIZON. i've also heard from the locals that verizon cards steel minutes.;)

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
My partner bought an orange pay as you go mobile phone for approx £40 (RDS$2000) when he was in Sosua a couple of months ago and his mother just bought one a bit cheaper.

The calls to the UK were really cheap (much cheaper than calling DR from UK) and I know that his credit lasted ages whilst using in Sosua and to call me back home. Sorry I can't be more specific than that but maybe it'll give you some idea.

Kevyboy

May 12, 2005
I think to set up your phone with an Orange SIM card is around 350RD. THen you can buy time in denominations of 60, 100, 200 and 300RD.

Kevyboy

May 12, 2005
One other thing, you will need you Passport or ID to get it.

Also as far as coverage goes, I have had a few problems too, but nothing too severe.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks for replies, it sounds like it is worth getting an Orange SIM card for my own phone than a old/cheap connected Verizon DR phone, any prices on that... ?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Also, if your cell phone was activated in the US, it would be very useful if it was a tri-band phone(850/1800/1900MHz), if it was a dual-band(850/1800) phone, you can still get it connected but your phone will only cover certain areas of the DR. When you buy a pre-paid in the DR, it will cover the both bands used in the country which is 1800/1900. Good Luck

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
I have used both Orange and Verizon and definitely had MUCH better service using Verizon. The Orange service was good sometimes and bad others. On the mountain road between POP and STI the Orange phone had barely any service while Verizon had service the entire time.

Just my 0.02

Roughwater

Feb 24, 2004
I have a Verizon phone from the US and have International Roaming.
The phone (Moto E815) is only 850/1900. Will be arriving soon to Sosua,
will the 1900 band get me connected to Verizon in Sosua?

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I have a Verizon phone from the US and have International Roaming.
The phone (Moto E815) is only 850/1900. Will be arriving soon to Sosua,
will the 1900 band get me connected to Verizon in Sosua?

A 1900 band will work, but its limited to the preferable 1800 band, plus International Roaming is something like $2US a minute.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Verizon US only charges .69 per minute, but you may want to go to the Verizon Kiosk at the Playero in Sosua - or Janet's Market in Cabarete, and have the NAM 2 (second line) setup as a Dominican number..it's free, and you just buy phone cards to use while you're there..much cheaper than using Verizon US for roaming...although you wont hear the phone ring from your US number... but you can check your voicemail once in a while with the Dominican number active. It costs about 8 pesos per minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.