Travelling to Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

krossm

Sep 5, 2006
Hi All,

Im travelling to Puerto Plata in October this year. A few questions if that is okay?

- I haven't yet had my recommended jabs for going to DR - does everyone suggest that I do get these and are they really essential?

- What are the must see and do's while you are in DR?

- How much do excursions usually cost?

Any other tips or advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

nickijay

Jul 14, 2006
Hi and welcome to the forum, I had my jabs and would recommend them but I didnt take malaria tablets.
You dont say where you are staying but if you're in the POP area you should go to Ocean world its amazing. There are many excursions prices vary but use a local company it will be cheaper than booking through your tour operator.
Im sure you'll find answers to all your questions here.

nic

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Go to your GP and get all the jabs (essential), Malaria tablets are not needed for POP.

I recommend going to one of the many waterfalls with a local tour. Quiet an adventure, dress as you would when you go to the beach as you will be doing a bit of walking, climbing, swimming and so on...... (take waterproof camera or none at all - it WILL get wet)

If into windsurfing/kitesurfing/dingy sailing/etc. visit Cabarete (30 minutes via Guagua from POP RD$40/50 - during the day)

For discos, clubs and bars, restaurants go to Sosua (halfway to Cabarete). Need a taxi back at night could be RD$300-500 depending on what time it is.

Have fun.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I recommend going to one of the many waterfalls with a local tour. Quiet an adventure, dress as you would when you go to the beach as you will be doing a bit of walking, climbing, swimming and so on...... (take waterproof camera or none at all - it WILL get wet)
I'd take serious sneakers with good soles if you're gonna do Rio Damajuagua, not cheesy beach shoes. Your feet will thank me later.

And do the LONG tour, not the regular one. But only if you're in decent physical shape and don't mind high jumps.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Quite right, we ended up with those rubber black ones they rent on the spot - terrible. But bear in mind your shoes will be immersed in water completely, unless you can swim with your legs up in the air...LOL !!!?

Status
Not open for further replies.