First trip in 5 years

Clampett 1

Aug 11, 2006
Ok, so after 5 years or so I went back to visit the place where I was born. I was in DR for 10 days. I expected to somehow find Santo Domingo very different now mainly because I hear about all of the new construction and the new modern changes that have happened in the last few years.
After being there for just a couple of days, I was ready to return on the third. I guess I have lived in the US too long and can no longer get used to certain aspects of the old city.
I stayed in a nice hotel in the colonial zone, had a car to drive around and I was pretty much prepared to endured all of the toughness the city brings. I still find it very difficult to simply be there. The black outs, the crazy traffic, the high level of danger in the streets and the dirt all over the city was a serious disappointment to me. I am a seasoned Dominican driver, I can get around with very little problem, but it bothers me that after so many years of this latest push to modernize the city, the driving is so difficult and people just don't mind traffic rules. There are tons of police all over, but it does not matter.
The blackouts are out of control. In some places of the city, the electricity only come on once or twice a day and of course that means that unless there is a traffic cop making sure traffic flows, you have to push your way through an intersection. Lord, I am glad that I had the insurance on my car paid.
Water shortage is very normal. You would think that in a place with so much water flowing all around and people paying for water as much as they pay, water would not be a problem. People have to often buy water from private vendors in order to shower and such.

The thing that bothered me the most is that in so many years since I last visited there has been very little improvement in the appearance of the city. I mean there is still trash all over the place. People simply refuse to put the trash in the trash containers. I was walking with some friends and eating some bananas and waited with the banana peel in my hand until I found a trash can. My friend ridiculed me for it. He said that I should just throw in on the sidewalk and that eventually it will be picked up. There are trash piles all over the place, except of course in the tourist areas, such as the colonial zone and near El malecon.

Because of the new war on crime regulations, I got pulled over by the police at least 27 times. They asked me if I was a police officer or soldier and after showing them my US Federal officer ID, they looked at it upside down and said, ok have a good night. I was glad to see them out at least. It makes people feel better just to know that they are out. So, that is an improvement I guess.

Every time I hear my family talk about moving back there, I remind them of what I just went through and those are my reasons for staying here in the US or moving to Europe later.

Joel Gomez
Leominster, MA

May 31, 2005
I am sorry that your trip was a disappointment.

Didn't you have at least one nice thing happen to you over there? We would like to hear about those too.

Clampett 1

Aug 11, 2006
Well Dragonfly, make no mistake about it. I am the kind of person that you can lock in a closet and I would still have fun. I had my share of good times down in DR. I visited old friends, some relatives and relived old memories from when I was a child walking in the Santo Domingo streets. I also had my share of fun with all of the beautiful Dominican girls (safe fun).
I also traveled to Dajabon to some haitian fair and was surprised to see how we still treat Haitians as lower than dirt kind of people. We demand equality and respect here in the US, but treat Haitians in DR like dirt warms. Shame on us.
There were some fun moments, but they were thown back by the misery of every day dominican life.

Joel Gomez
Leominster, MA

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
Sorry to say, but seeing that you had nothing good to say about your trip, I could only assume your one of those people who don't know how to enjoy yourself regardless of the circumstances. Don't forget that despite it's advances, the DR is still a poor developing country.

Personally I stay with family (not hotels unless I'm in an area where I have no family) regardless of how poor they may be. I never let blackouts or water shortages ruin my trips to the DR, I just take them as experiences and enjoy all there is to enjoy. Whether it's my grandmother and her neighbors playing bingo with an oil lamp or just the fact that i'm in the tropics.

I do agree that there are still sanitation problems, but that situation has improved over the years and hopefully it will continue improving.

Anyway, maybe you should just stick to developed countries and go back to the DR when you feel is good enough for u.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I can understand your disappointment. It's all about where we pitch our expectations, isn't it? Having lived in the DR for 14 years I have exactly the same problem when I visit UK - not on issues like power and water, but the unhelpfulness of strangers for example. I'm now used to the DR where 'strangers' are extremely helpful. I used to visit UK once every two years, now it's once every three. My visits there are now only functional - medical checks & shopping, although it is always nice to see old friends. So my motivation to visit UK is decreasing over the years; I'd simply rather be here because here is home. And I can see advances and development here, whereas in UK I tend to see a downhill slope only............ So I understand what you experienced and like me, you're probably better off staying where you are. :)

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
While I feel badly that the OP was disappointed that his naitive country has not progressed as much as expected in five years, I am happy that he found joy in reuniting with family, old friends, and places from childhood. Five years is not really that long a period of time, in the great scheme of things, and it is certainly not a long enough period of time to correct the problems the DR faces which the OP so rightly points to. Those problems are basic and should not summarily brushed aside. There is no reason that the capitol of the Dominican Republic, the first metropolos in the western hemisphere, should be so filthy! Especially not in Zona Colonial! There is no reason for the water and electricy problems!

I love the DR, and I will visit there as much in the future as I have for the past seven years since I discovered this magical place and its people. However, I share the OP's disappointment, not only with those who are in authority and those who have the ability to change things in the DR, but also with those of us who might have some influence to exert leverage for positive change as well. Alas, perhaps we are, in the final analysis, in fact, merely tourists.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Thanks for the travel story. I appreciated your perspective as a Dominican returning home. My parents are also from the Caribbean and I grew up trying to explain to others why my parents have no inclination to go back now that they've lived over 2/3 of their lives here in Canada. Their reasons are very similar to yours.

Personally, I love the DR as well. I am gravitating towards living there for the same reasons as RonS...

I hope you will return soon.

Clampett 1

Aug 11, 2006
I am glad that people understand my point of view on this. It goes without saying that I love the DR, because it is the country where I was born and I also have lots of family living there. It becomes really hard to explain why the SD is in such a bad shape as a large city. You see all of these new vehicles on the roads that resemble downtown somalia. Sanitation and water systems are a mess and much, much more. It is a shame. I go there to visit family and because of that I can't stop. I guess, the bottom line is that I feel a sense of pity for my old country.

Joel Gomez
Leominster, MA

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Clampett 1, good honest trip report.

Your report reminded me of all the reasons I stopped spending time in the Capital. I haven't spent consecutive nights there for quite some time.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
It would really be nice if someone could suggest some way that we can help change this situation.