Pto.Pta. Watchmen for R.U.S.A. Shot in back of head

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
In the early hours this morning ( SAT.) a Watchmen while on duty for the popular Puerto Plata Money exchange house R.U.S.A. was shot in the back of the head.
The attackers made off with his Shotgun.
The Watchmen who is a regular at my wife's Church is in critical condition at Centro Medico.

G

gary short

So the motive for this cowardly act was the theft of a shotgun?

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Update

As of 8:30 PM this evening, the watchmen is still in intensive care however his vitals are stable and his kidneys are still functioning, also he is moving his hands and legs.
They say his chances are 50/50.

At this time the word on the street is the motive was to take out the watchman and enter the money house...........But something went terribly wrong.

I'm quoting my wife who just got back from the clinic as she and other Church members had been trying to comfort his wife.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Thoughts and prayers Gringo. If he is doing security they probably don't have a lot of money for the care bill. I am not there but I hope he has some help.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I do not recall whether R.U.S.A. use a security company for their watchmen or employ their own - I think the latter. Either way, the guard will have some Insurance in place because Apolinar (owner of R.U.S.A.) is a concientious employer AND a decent man - he will make sure his emplyee is well taken care of!

I am devastated to hear this news though, I have probably said good morning to this watchman on several ocassions!! Larry, please ask your wife to pass on to HIS wife, our condolences & wishes for a FULL recovery of her husband in very short order!

Another one to be added to the regular prayers!! ~ Grahame.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Update Mon.18th/ 3:00 PM.

The watchmen Oracio Santo's condition although he is still in intensive care has been moved up to "stable holding his own" and the Doctor's say his chances are now 80%.
Apparently the bullet is still lodged in his head and can't be removed.

Grahame, your guess was right Oracio Santo has been working for Aponlinar (Owner of R.U.S.A. Cambio ) for 12 years now and my wife said Aponlinar told the Doctors to due what ever was possible and that money was no object he would take care of everything.

The Watchmen Oracio Santo has a wife and four children, he is about 45 years old.

The incident took place across from the Amber Gallery, near Central Park.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Update Thurs. Sept 21st.

Watchmen Oracio Santo's sadly passed away this afternoon as it was decided "against his Doctors" orders that he be transported to Santiago's Public Hospital as the costs were mounting and he had no Ins.
He died shortly after his arrival to Hospital.

R.I.P.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Watch man passed away

Watchmen Oracio Santo's sadly passed away this afternoon as it was decided "against his Doctors" orders that he be transported to Santiago's Public Hospital as the costs were mounting and he had no Ins.

R.I.P.

Very sad lets hope they catch the people who shot him

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Another tragedy caused by brutal ladrones! I knew Sr. Santos, who was a "serious" man. My sincere condolences to his family. Here's hoping they catch the criminal ...Canadian Bob.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004

R.I.P.

Please be sure that his wife sees a competent labor attorney. There is no way he should have been without insurance as this was an injury which occurred at work and would be covered by the Occupational Hazard Insurance required by the Social Security Act. If they are trying to renege on the medical insurance, they might want to renege on the survivor's benefits also.

Mikethe1&only

Jul 14, 2006
Paradise, I do not think so

I am very sorry to hear this.

Lately this is all I have been reading about are deaths in DR.

All these stories about killings, putting up window bars to keep ladrones out, etc is putting a big damper on DR.

DR is ok to visit and enjoy a few weeks off but a 24/7 paradise it is not.

Sorry, just my opinion and no offense intended on all who make DR their home.

Crime does exist anywhere in the world but is seems this is an everyday occurence and the curfew is not working!!!!!!!

Sorry for your loss.

God Bless:cheeky:

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
So very very sad. Gringo, I don't understand this, when earlier it was posted that the employer was covering all the costs...................?

I don't understand eighter Ginnie.............perhaps there was a change of heart, I can see the bill at Centro Medico could have reached RD.$ 1.000.000 Pesos or more very fast.
As you are aware that Clinic is not cheep and I.C.U. must ad to the bill significantly.

I'm not defending R.U.S.A. I knew Oracio personally as he has been to my house.

I also believe that he would have stood a much better chance not being moved, but that's my personal opinion.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
similar thing happened to someone we know. two brothers from the barrios over by the Rio Ozama, who work in construction on various sites from time to time, and one of them also works as a motoconchista. One day, broad daylight, one of the brothers was shot dead by his passenger over in Guachupita. Motive was robbery, but nothing was taken. Probably he fought with his assailant (he was huge guy), got shot, the assailant was spooked and ran off. A disgusting and heinous act of cowardice and brute stupidity. The victim's brother is inconsolable, as they were always very close from childhood. What can you say? Personally I think there has to be a very thorough and merciless disarming of the population. If you have a legal permit, fine; but if not, the gun is confiscated and you go to the clink. It's the ladrones who have the illegal weapons, so go after them. Then when it comes to robberies the victims might have more of a chance, and the perpetrators wont feel so emboldened.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
.... so very sad

My deepest condolences to the family and friends.

From the things I have read on this site and from a friend that also had a friend shot at a Cambio House, the doctors and clinics in the DR have no compassion at all here for human life.

Gringo, you said it was aganist his doctor's orders that he be moved, yet it appears it was because of the doctor's bill and the clinic's bill that they did not continue to treat him.

Unfortunately in this country, money is more important to them then saving lives. He should never have been moved until his condition was stable. The roads in the DR are no place to transport a critically injured person with a bullet lodged in their head.

My friend was told that to continue his friend's life saving treatment someone had to come up with some money.

Very, very sad situation here in the DR.