Environmental/Soveriegn outrage

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Greetings,

I returned from this area last week and after reading this DR1 headline today,, wanted to share my impressions.

"Haitian forced takeover of Montecristi Park
The environmental prosecutor for the northwest, Ramon Aristides Arias described the depredation of Dominican scientific, forest and maritime reserves by illegal Haitian immigrants in the northwest as "alarming" and a "cause for great concern". He spoke of the devastation of fishing areas due to the use of banned fishing methods, destruction of coral reefs, the massacre of birds and collecting of birds' eggs, and takeover by force of Dominican cays by armed Haitian fishermen. In an interview with Listin Diario yesterday, he called for the authorities to take drastic measures to halt this environmental vandalism.
Maritime expert Roberto Llerena says that although there is an armed coastguard ship in Montecristi, it does not have fuel to patrol the area."

Monti Cristi is not a tourist town, but it could be. The coastline holds alot of natural beauty. The Rio Norte enters here forming a large estuary/bay and to the east there are several mangrove creeks where I saw black, red and white mangrove and some good birding to include Flamingo and Ibis. The area struck me as a sea kayakers paradise. There are several secluded beaches that looked very nice albeit not the sparkling white sand variety. The beach on the waterfront was a disaster. It was essentially a strip of sand clogged with plastic floatsam. I had good accomodations and ate some killer seafood. The area is famous for its' goat, which I enjoy but didn't sample.

To the topic. The captain who took me fishing declined to take me to Sieta Hermanos although he was very adamant in describing their beauty. When I asked about Haitianos he grinned sardonically and said, " Those people are very hungry". Needless to say, we fished well to the east towards Punta Rucia.

The captain confirmed the boobie predation and made mention of cyanide and explosives being used as a fishing tool. Made me want to cry. I know Mels Tours in Sosua has a contact in the area and offer tours to the Seven Brothers, perhaps they can lend some insight to the topic?

I should mention that while trolling, we spoted a large sea turtle and when the conversation turned to its' meat and eggs, both the captain and mate expressed, " Mi gusta".

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Hi Sollie. Welcome to DR1's Environment Forum. Hope someone has some (reasonable and informative) responses for you.

Do you know about the Green Team blog on DR environment issues? We did a series on coral reef protection which mentioned the very fishing practice problems you raise here:
http://www.dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u=environment&e_id=1852
http://www.dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u=environment&e_id=1858
http://www.dr1.com/blogs/entry.php?u=environment&e_id=1864

Maybe you'd consider doing a guest blog entry on the issue?

Regards,
Keith R
Environment Forum Moderator:glasses:

& leader, The Green Team

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Thank you Kieth ...

...for the welcome. I am not a scientist or an expert on anything other than my opinion, so I'll decline the invitation to blog the topic. The links you provided were informative and sound, I hope the politicos are reading. Thanks.

I can add that I saw the " armed coast guard ship" in the marina and it was not externally armed and apparently tended by guys in tank tops and beers in their hands. With the great deal in Chavez oil, you'd think they could make an excursion to protect a jewel like Sieta Hermanos. If only the Haitianos would build a fort.:pirate:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, Sollie, most of us on the Green Team (we are about a dozen) are not scientists or necessarily experts in everything we blog about, but we love the DR and care about it's environment and are willing to voice our views publicly. That's the main criteria for participation on the blog, so I suspect you'd fit right in. ;) We've done a few entries, including guest entries, that were just photos depicting the issue accompanied by observations and musings from the poster's point of view, such as Larry's & Rick Synder's pieces on trash, lhtown's series on worm composting, my own musings on holding mayors accountable...

Best Regards,
Keith