Re: Prophylaxis not recommended?

M

Me

The CDC is the world recognized expert, and more objective in their research and recommendations, since they are not worried about public opinion but aboout public health. It is more likely that someone would come down with denghue than malaria. I know two people myself who contracted denghue; one died - a child, and one is still recaovering.

J

jerry

Okay I'll plead stupidity here. What is denghue? How does one catch it? How does one get rid of it?

Jerry

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: DENGUE FEVER

I know I should not answer this...I should defer to the Minister of Tourism...but, in view of the fact I have had 35 years experience as a practicing physician, I guess that entitles me to at least state an opinion and tell you what Dengue is.

Dengue Fever

Dengue is a mosquito-transmitted viral disease occurring chiefly in tropical and subtropical areas of the world. Epidemic transmission is usually seasonal, during and shortly after the rainy season. There are no travel restrictions for any country with regard to dengue, however many cases have been reported in travelers returning from the areas listed below. Risk Generally, there is a low risk of acquiring dengue during travel to tropical areas except during periods of epidemic transmission. Dengue outbreaks have occurred with increasing frequency in recent years in most countries of the Tropics. The risk is greatest in the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia, Southern China, Central and South America (except Chile, Paraguay, and Argentina), the Caribbean (except Cuba and the Cayman Islands), Mexico, and Africa. There is a somewhat lower risk for travelers to Taiwan and the Pacific Islands. The Middle East and Northern Australia have a still lower risk of Dengue transmission. New Zealand is free of dengue fever. Transmission Dengue viruses are transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes, which are most active during the day. Mosquitoes that transmit dengue usually are found near human dwellings and often are present indoors. Dengue is predominant in urban centers, but may be found in rural areas; it is rarely found at elevations above 4000 feet. Prevention There is no vaccine for dengue fever; therefore the traveler should avoid mosquito bites by using insect repellents on skin and clothing and remaining in well screened or air conditioned areas. Travelers are advised to use aerosol insecticides indoors and use bednets if sleeping quarters are not screened or air conditioned. Symptoms Dengue fever is characterized by sudden onset, high fever, severe headaches, joint and muscle pain, nausea, vomiting and rash. The rash appears 3-4 days after the onset of fever. Infection is diagnosed by a special laboratory test of blood that detects the presence of the virus or antibodies. The illness may last up to 10 days, but complete recovery can take 2 to 4 weeks. Dengue is commonly confused with other infectious illnesses such as influenza, measles, malaria, typhoid, and scarlet fever. The symptoms of dengue can be treated with bed rest, fluids, and medications to reduce fever, such as acetaminophen; aspirin should be avoided. More severe forms of the disease, "dengue hemorrhagic fever" or "dengue shock syndrome" are very rare among travelers. Symptoms initially are indistinguishable from dengue fever, but the illness progresses to faintness, shock, and generalized bleeding. Dengue does not produce long-term complications. See your physician if you become sick within a month of returning from travel in a tropical area. Be prepared to give your complete travel itinerary, so that the physician can evaluate the possibility that your symptoms were caused by a dengue infection.