First Time in My Own Apartment

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I wanted to share my experience to bring some balance to the forums, or I, too, would come from fear.

I've been visiting the North Coast about 10 times, usually staying at an AI - loved it but aware it's a sheltered experience.

This trip, for the first time, I stayed in my own apartment- and traveled by myself. Because AA doesn't fly non stop into POP, I flew into Santiago and (thanks to you all) JJ picked me up at the airport. Rocio was with him - a real treat. Took the mountain road to Sosua -beautiful vistas - and stopped at Playero for groceries and then to my place.

Woke in the morning to the sun shining through the window, the palm trees swaying in the breeze and incredible quiet - except for the cicadas and a rooster here or there.

I used motorconchos (for short distances), publicos, and taxis (I had no car) and negotiated my way with minimal Spanish - lots of hand gestures!

I was careful but not scared - didn't carry a lot of money and held whatever I was carrying close to my body. Had no incidents - I believe it was because I wasn't coming from fear - and I wasn't out past Midnight either!

I played tennis one day and on he motorconcho on the way back, my hat blew off. I said never mind as we were on the main road going fast. When we turned off, we heard honking and another motorconcho brought me my hat. The people are so wonderful on the one hand - and would probably rob for 5 pesos.

I love the country, the people, the climate, and especially the peacefulness I feel when I'm there.

I'll be back in December for 3 weeks and can't wait

Thanks to everyone who has and continues to help me on my journey

Ro

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
People, stop going in December...You're all ruining my chance of me going as all airline seats will be taken...just kidding. Good to see you experienced a piece of the real Dominican Republic and liked it...

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
So what's the plan for the next visit? Have you decided that AIs are not for you? Will you rent again in Sosua or someplace else? Just curious.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Hi Nikke,

I'm done with AIs. I bought a small 1 bedroom and that's where I'll stay from now on; outside of town, very quiet small building; great views; and I love it.
Thanks for asking. And where are you? You can PM if you like.
Ro

Toronto Girl 11

May 2, 2006
Hey,
Thanks for sharing your experiences....They all sound so great !! I will be going to R.D for 6 weeks and i am over all inclusives. Waste of time and money.
I will be visiting one of my friends in San Pedro de Macrocis and we plan on travelling throughout R.D. It should be fun. Thanks for sharing and i hope i have a great time like yourself......Any pointers on great places to visit in POP etc?

Thanks, TG 11:)