has anyone had experience with this.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
i would like everyones opinion on a subject, i always have arguments with my family members who live here in ny with me i tell them that very soon im going to go back and live in dr because i love it there. many of them tell me its a huge mistake because theres no money, no jobs yadda yadda. others tell me its 2 hot there, theres too many mosquitos and no electricity and that dr is not as comfotable to live in like the states. my strong points are that anything you have in the states you can get in dr, also with the electricity problem just get a good planta and inverter if you are hot get an AC. and i always throw a good point about life in the states is a big rat race which never ends. another thing that upsets me is how people after coming to the states forget where they originally came from and then they hate dr like its the worst country in the world. i know life in dr can be difficult if you dont know what you are doing but so its the same thing anywhere else. so does this sound familiar to some people out here in dr1.

G

gary short

i would like everyones opinion on a subject, i always have arguments with my family members who live here in ny with me i tell them that very soon im going to go back and live in dr because i love it there. many of them tell me its a huge mistake because theres no money, no jobs yadda yadda. others tell me its 2 hot there, theres too many mosquitos and no electricity and that dr is not as comfotable to live in like the states. my strong points are that anything you have in the states you can get in dr, also with the electricity problem just get a good planta and inverter if you are hot get an AC. and i always throw a good point about life in the states is a big rat race which never ends. another thing that upsets me is how people after coming to the states forget where they originally came from and then they hate dr like its the worst country in the world. i know life in dr can be difficult if you dont know what you are doing but so its the same thing anywhere else. so does this sound familiar to some people out here in dr1.
I believe if you have an investment income and or a pension then you should be able to live in the DR....however you'll have to factor in other expences. The most important being medical emergancy expences.....do you have coverage in the states.........consider that you should have insurance in the DR......

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If you've got the money to overcome the physical problems, it's a GREAT country to live in. And what makes it so great, in my view, is the people. If you can internalise the humanity and fortitude and optimism of the vast majority of Dominicans, you end up being more simpatico yourself. That is a priceless gift and not one I found in my land of origin, the UK. So, I'm here to stay. Even if I was forced to leave tomorrow I'd always be grateful for what the Dominican people have given me. It's intangible and difficult to describe but I know I'm a lot nicer than when I first arrived. Where else could I have found that? It's about meeting the challenges and thriving on them. And I don't have rose tinted specs; there are bad apples everywhere. I'm talking about what you can learn about yourself here, provided you are open to learning.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
'Tis true. A lot nicer being there. When I had a two month stay in the RD my buddy back home in Canada commented how my voice was different.
He could tell that I was generally happier and less stressed out.
That was even with having to deal with said issues, power, etc.
(I know two months isn't long but was great)

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
you are absolutely right, whenever i come back i am generally happier and nicer and its all because of the people over there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when one has money life is good anywhere in the world... but here you need less dosh to make good living. DR can be frustrating and dissapointing, recently 320 of my fellow poles were stranded on the islad because their travel agent went bancrupt. apparently poor guys have met with a very malicious reaction from the hotel management, their passports have been taken, they have been given no meals or help whatsoever. this is a difference between being a tourist here and actual LIFE here. when you are a tourist you can expect to be treated as such. when you live here - it's good. my boyfriend's family has accepted me and give me all the love and support they can, they make me feel welcomed and taken care of. and that's something you rarely see in developed world communities. people here are naturally generous, nice and caring. uncomparable!

El Vegano

Apr 20, 2006
My experience.

joseinoa - Let me speak from experience. I lived in the U.S. since I was 12 until I was 42 so I went to school and worked there for 30 years. Everyone told me I would not adapt to this underdeveloped society, etc. However, I have and it's been 11 years since I'm back. It all depends on what you are looking for in life.

I am now in my 50's, had enough of the rat-race in the First World and enjoy
a simpler, quieter life in my own land with my own people in spite of the blackouts and lack of other basic services. I have been fortunate that I
have the resources for inverters for the blackouts, cisterns and 'tinacos' (water tanks on the roof), acceptable local health insurance which I hardly ever need to use, so far, and other additional expenses here which would not be as high in the U.S.

It's great to have the tropical climate to walk my 3 miles in the morning and ride my bike in the afternoons and weekends all year round. I don't need more than summer wardrobe and, being alone and without family responsibilities, I get along just fine with few problems. Of course, I will never get used to the crazy moto-conchistas and scooter-riders or the chaotic public transportation all over the country; fortunately, I don't need to use them but they irritate me when I observe.

If you are willing to give up many comforts in the U.S. in exchange for some gains in climate, laid-back, relaxed attitudes and a simpler life (if you avoid the Dominican rat-race which is almost just as intense in Santo Domingo as in the U.S.), then you should do it without completely burning bridges back in the U.S., just in case. Good Luck with your decision.

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
vegano let me tell you i could not have said it better myself i am 100% with you on everything you said. and all those people that are negative about dr i let them be that way so we can enjoy our great country by ourselves. sounds selfish, but whatever.

tino

Aug 29, 2006
www.tomorrows-hope.org
Greetings, my mother and grandparents are Dominicans and I am really thinking of moving to the DR by next year. I will like to get some good information on daily living, schools for (4 and 6 year old), housing, health insurance and any other important info you can send my way.

I have nothing negative to say about the DR, because I only visited there twice and my main reason for moving to the DR is to help out with the orphans, crimes, drug abuse and education which is my main motivation in life.

P.S. Can you please tell me what moving company can someone use in the North Central Florida area (Ocala).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
look up dr1.com for daily life advice, i find it just as useful as info i get from my dominican boyfriend. sometimes it is better to ask fellow gringo because for dominicans some things go without saying, they do not understand what's your problem...
today for the first time i enjoyed puerto plata, on my short walk from work i did not sweat, i did not swear at cheaps of rubbish blocking my way, i jumped all the poodles of mud without getting my brand new white shoes from tienda jimenez dirty. people were smiling, sun was shining, monte de isabel de torres looked so beautiful :bunny:

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Greetings, my mother and grandparents are Dominicans and I am really thinking of moving to the DR by next year. I will like to get some good information on daily living, schools for (4 and 6 year old), housing, health insurance and any other important info you can send my way.

I have nothing negative to say about the DR, because I only visited there twice and my main reason for moving to the DR is to help out with the orphans, crimes, drug abuse and education which is my main motivation in life.

P.S. Can you please tell me what moving company can someone use in the North Central Florida area (Ocala).

Just wanted to tell you that your reasons for moving to the DR are admirable.

tino

Aug 29, 2006
www.tomorrows-hope.org
Hidalgo, I apologize for not answering you sooner. I have been working deligently on grants that will help support our mission for the Dominican Republic. I thank you and feel free to visit our website to see the work we have done in the past with some orphans at Tomorrows-Hope.org under the the program page Dominican Republic.
I will be creating a program for youth to keep them off the streets at night as well. Any support or volunteer time once we move will be appreciated.

tino

Aug 29, 2006
www.tomorrows-hope.org
Hidalgo, I apologize for not answering you sooner. I have been working deligently on grants that will help support our mission for the Dominican Republic. I thank you and feel free to visit our website to see the work we have done in the past with some orphans at Tomorrows-Hope.org under the the program page Dominican Republic.
I will be creating a program for youth to keep them off the streets at night as well. Any support or volunteer time once we move will be appreciated

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
tino, I had a look at the website but couldn't determine from the pics exactly which part of the DR your mission is situated. Could you tell us, please? That way maybe you could link up with expats living in that area who would like to help out?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Jose: My experience has been that those who came from The DR and you hear them complaining about how hot it is, how hard it is to live there, blah blah blah...are normally people who came from a lower economic class in The DR, and therefore didn't have the comforts to have a nice life while there. Thus the reason for migrating to The US...They have a distorted image of what life in The DR is or could be if you have the money.

The DR is an awesome country to live if you are financially secure. Poor people have a hard time, but that's pretty much anywhere in the world, not just The DR.

The other side of the coin is that if you're planning to move down there you have to have the right expectations. You must understand that there are things that don't work as good as in a developed country (i.e. electricity). YOU must decide if you can live with that and if the pros outnumber the cons. In my mind they do, but I'm still not ready to make the move myself as I still need to feel financially secure...