Phones In The Dr

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Is it more cost effective to have a land line or just have a cell phone if you are in the Dr for 1 month? Any suggestions regarding either option would be nice.
Steve

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I don't live there but travel there frequently and have family and friends.

I'd say if you are going for a month just use a cell phone with prepaid cards. Incoming minutes are free all over the DR.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
For the last two years we have used a cell phone. I brouight an old phone from home (tri-band) and had it converted here for about $10US and bought verizon minutes as I needed. It worked out great. Now that we are here full time we have both a land line (need it for ?high speed internet) and a cell. The land line took a month to get done.

Bob K

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As Bob K mentioned, it takes a while to get a landline, sometimes longer than one month.
Cellphone is the way to go for you.
Make sure you get good reception in your home area, with the provider you choose.
Your neighbours should be able to tell you which phone company to use.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
apparently in sosua/cabarete you can rent the prepaid phone and then you just pay as you go. remember that if you buy a cell it does use the connection if you do not use it for a certain time. i don't know if i sound clear, i mean that if you do not use your number at all for more than few months it gets blocked and is not usable anymore so you have to buy a new card. be sure your phone is unlocked so you can use it with any sim card.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Is it cheaper to buy phone in DR?

Is it cheaper to buy cell-phone in DR or in Canada?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Probably Canada, if you plan to keep it. Otherwise rent one here....

HB, totally ignerent to technology!!

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
Bring a phone its definitely cheaper. Also you can keep the phone and youll have the phone for months after you leave and return. I had a phone in early July and left just after July 4th. When I returned last weekend my phone number was the same I just bought some minutes and I was off and running again.

banksk

May 26, 2006
How come my cell didn't work when i went to the DR? i listened to your advice but it didn't work. i had to use my mate's.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
try to get yourself unlocked 4band phone that works with sim cards and get a pre paid orange. i have never seen fido here, we have orange, verizon and centennial.