samana-santo domingo highway cutting into national park?

MonoLoco

Oct 21, 2006
why the hell they gunna make a park for? i mean come on the dominican republic spent like 15 years just making roads and now they gunna turn them into parks. This is a waste of time. They shouldnt be concerned about parks or roads now. They should be concerned about the electericity. If they give them electricity like the united states then buisiness would boom because they can stay open longer. More production, imprve quality of life. more miltary vehicles and weapons can be produced. Trade would increase also. At night time people would be able to go out safer, less car accidents. Dont the leaders understand that not only the people benifit but buisniess and the economy of the country benifits and they would also if they really dont care about the people? if they do care just make the electricity it would also allow more schools to have better standards.

Last edited:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
why the hell they gunna make a park for? i mean come on the dominican republic spent like 15 years just making roads and now they gunna turn them into parks. This is a waste of time.

Mono, that was tongue-in-cheek or facetious, right? The national park existed long before the highway was even on the planning board, and it is a fragile ecosystem (the reason it was created in the first place).

And the remark about producing more military vehicles and weapons... yeah, must have been facetious. :tired:

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Mono, that was tongue-in-cheek or facetious, right? The national park existed long before the highway was even on the planning board, and it is a fragile ecosystem (the reason it was created in the first place).

Oh Please!!!''

I believe Yellowstone is the oldest National park in existence, and it has roads going through it! And it?s none the worse for the ware. In fact, I suspect the people appreciate it more for being able to experience the park.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Cya, a few points:
1. Mono said "they gunna make a park" -- I was pointing out that the park has long existed, is not being made now.
2. Yellowstone is quite a different ecosystem.
3. The ecosystem protected by the DR park is quite fragile -- ask anyone who knows it.
4. American roadbuilding methods are quite different than the ones I have seen practiced in the DR
5. You and I both know that once that highway goes through there, there will be unchecked development along it of the type that would NEVER be permitted in a US National Park such as Yellowstone.

In short, you're comparing apples with oranges.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
On the other thread posted about the same time this one first appeared also dealing with the road and the park, it was pointed out that the road wends its way along the upland, western edge of the park. Someone even posted part of the funding company's environmental impact report on the project. And on the same same thread I reported the minimal destruction of vegetation for the highway's construction and right-of-way that was visable following a flyover by me earlier this month.

And even if limited development ocurrs along the edges/shoulders of the highway, the highway's route on the park's western edge is a LONG way from the somewhat sensitive mangrove ecosystem that forms the main basis of the park. And after a lifetime of living in and around mangroves (Florida and here) I can attest that about the only thing that kills these prolific, saltwater-marsh trees is a cold snap with days of sub-freezing temperatures such as the freeze that affected north-central Florida in December, 1984. Short of yanking them out (roots and all) they can withstand a lot of abuse, including petroleum-based pollution.

"Me thinks we're makin' mountains out of molehills here."

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
And even if limited development ocurrs along the edges/shoulders of the highway, the highway's route on the park's western edge is a LONG way from the somewhat sensitive mangrove ecosystem that forms the main basis of the park.

I believe is only touches the area delienated as the buffer region of the park

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Cya, a few points:
1. Mono said "they gunna make a park" -- I was pointing out that the park has long existed, is not being made now.
2. Yellowstone is quite a different ecosystem.
3. The ecosystem protected by the DR park is quite fragile -- ask anyone who knows it.
4. American roadbuilding methods are quite different than the ones I have seen practiced in the DR
5. You and I both know that once that highway goes through there, there will be unchecked development along it of the type that would NEVER be permitted in a US National Park such as Yellowstone.

In short, you're comparing apples with oranges.

I wonder who is "comparing apples with oranges!" A road would only affect a fraction if 1% of the park!

Look beyond your narrow environmentalist perspective and get a grip on reality!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
On the other thread posted about the same time this one first appeared also dealing with the road and the park, it was pointed out that the road wends its way along the upland, western edge of the park. Someone even posted part of the funding company's environmental impact report on the project. And on the same same thread I reported the minimal destruction of vegetation for the highway's construction and right-of-way that was visable following a flyover by me earlier this month.

And even if limited development ocurrs along the edges/shoulders of the highway, the highway's route on the park's western edge is a LONG way from the somewhat sensitive mangrove ecosystem that forms the main basis of the park. And after a lifetime of living in and around mangroves (Florida and here) I can attest that about the only thing that kills these prolific, saltwater-marsh trees is a cold snap with days of sub-freezing temperatures such as the freeze that affected north-central Florida in December, 1984. Short of yanking them out (roots and all) they can withstand a lot of abuse, including petroleum-based pollution.

"Me thinks we're makin' mountains out of molehills here."
Having lived on the waterfront on the FL West Coast, I can vouch for the fact you just about can't kill the mangroves. In fact, they can almost take things over. They are not really "fragile?

They are like waterborne kudzu (for folks who know what that is...;) )

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Having lived on the waterfront on the FL West Coast, I can vouch for the fact you just about can't kill the mangroves. In fact, they can almost take things over. They are not really "fragile?

They are like waterborne kudzu (for folks who know what that is...;) )

Perhaps not a 'fragile' plant, but home to most of oceanlife at some or other stage in the lifecycle. And also badly threatened currently to the extent that mangrove forests are being planted in certain areas.

Why the World needs its Mangroves:A look into the natural and human relationships with mangrove forests
Aquaculture and Mangrove Destruction
MANGROVE DESTRUCTION - mangrove.org
Mangrove Destruction Endangered Species Handbook

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Chris,
I don't think we disagree that mangroves are an important part of the marine habitat and are a nursery to many fish and other lifeforms. I've spent a lifetime fishing in creeks and rivers lined with them and have seen the consequences of unmitigated mangrove destruction on a waterway. What I THINK this is all about is OVERSTATING the impact of a highway that passes some distance from the bay and part of it's mangrove shoreline.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, in poland all the parks have roads going through or nearby and it works. mind you, our road building system in not much better than DR. as long as the hotels, resorts and god knows what else does not spring on the sides of the road it may be just fine....lets give dominicans some credit, they have to realize that better country means more tourists, more tourists = more money.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There are roads cut through the Everglades in FL, a very fragile eco-system, that have shown, over time, to do no harm. Even the most strident radical environmentalists have been unable to refute the findings.