Safety for Teen Visitors

babybev

Oct 24, 2006
I'm considering travelling to DR with my 18 yr old daughter and 16 yr old son for Christmas break (along w/ a girlfriend and her two teenagers). We had a great time there a few years ago with no kids. However, I am concerned about the safety of the kids--especially the girls. There seemed to be a lot of weird activity on the beach at Sosua (14 year olds with old men, etc). We don't really like resorts and usually rent a house where ever we go. Is this a bad idea in Cabarete or Punta Cana? The girls will not be happy staying at home at night and will want to go out alone. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm considering travelling to DR with my 18 yr old daughter and 16 yr old son for Christmas break (along w/ a girlfriend and her two teenagers). We had a great time there a few years ago with no kids. However, I am concerned about the safety of the kids--especially the girls. There seemed to be a lot of weird activity on the beach at Sosua (14 year olds with old men, etc). We don't really like resorts and usually rent a house where ever we go. Is this a bad idea in Cabarete or Punta Cana? The girls will not be happy staying at home at night and will want to go out alone. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I think Cabarete would be more suitable if you are bringing your teenagers, and how you keep them safe when they go out at night, is a mystery to me.
I suppose I would force them to have a chaperone, if I were in your position, but I am not a parent and haven't got a clue, as to what to do with kids, except maybe to boil them in hot water, lol.

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
chaperone

I travelled to Puerto Plata in March with my teenage daughter--we stayed at the Playa Dorado complex. Although she has a lot of freedom at home, is very mature and responsible, there is no way I would I would allow her to go out by herself or with a friend. We did not leave the complex at night--went to the discos/bars on the complex but always always together. It is a very different world at the discos compared to what either of us had ever experienced. We had loads of fun but were very careful and stuck together. It is not safe to let them go out on their own no matter how mature or how careful they are.

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
The perverts are mostly foreigners. If you're white, don't worry, you're the wrong color to be molested.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
hmmm for the girls i suggest not leaving them alone especially at night i suggest them bringing along that 16 yr old boy along with them

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
I just spent a week at a house in Cabarete with my 18 yr old son and his friend (I know they are boys) but they were fine. Most of the bars along the beach in Cabarete are great. I wouldn't let him out in Sosua or Puerto Plata but am fairly comfortable in Cabarete. The Extreme Hotel on Kite Beach which is geared towards a younger crowd was their favourite hangout. We will be in Cabarete again for Christmas and New Years and I will have my son and another of his friends with us. PM me if you want any more information about bars, activities etc. that might interest your kids.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I think Cabarete would be more suitable if you are bringing your teenagers, and how you keep them safe when they go out at night, is a mystery to me.
I suppose I would force them to have a chaperone, if I were in your position, but I am not a parent and haven't got a clue, as to what to do with kids, except maybe to boil them in hot water, lol.
This is great advice.
I would also make sure they have cell phones.

Much depends on the character of the kids but 2 young girls out alone are quite vulnerable in any case.

I would be concerned about 2 young boys too but there really is no comparison.

kdeer

Mar 28, 2006
Waited Up Every Night

I would be concerned about 2 young boys too but there really is no comparison.

Believe me....I sat up until they were in each night and they were usually in by midnight...even if they were just in the gated community in which we stayed. My neighbour who is a really good guy, married with kids, and lives in Cabarete took them out one night and showed them which places to go to, where to stay away from etc. I was definately concerned but at the same time I didn't worry as much as I would have if they had been girls...at least my boys have some size and strength to them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am glad that I have passed this period of parenthood. It was a lot easier 20 years ago.

However, kids, being kids, seem to know what is right and what is wrong. You set the rules and they will know what to do.

I concur with Rocky and others that Cabarete might well be a better scenario for them to hang out.

I would suggest at least one or two trips during the day, to Santiago and to Damajagua Falls. In Santiago, the Centro León is a must. It can be done on the cheap: 6 people for less than $200 for the whole day...

Let me know if you need help with how to do this.

Damajagua Falls is a Not To Miss Adventure. If you and the kids are in good shape, you can have a ball....

And, as an old curmudgeon, I do believe in chaperoning the girls..to a degree...

HB

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
As another "old curmudgeon" I'll chime a little bit. The young people will have much more fun in Cabarete than Punta Cana. Cabarete is geared for the young. Punta Cana more for the sedate crowd.