New York Times Planing on running a great piece on DR's Upscale tourism

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
the date is oct, 29 ..I'm a subscriber, but for some reason can't get to the full article:

dominican_golf_75.jpg
The Dominican Republic offers a New Place in the Sun

[SIZE=-1]By SETH KUGEL[/SIZE] Published: October 29, 2006

Luxury resorts, championship golf courses and Asian spas are helping to turn the Dominican Republic into the latest five-star playground of the Caribbean.

[FONT=Arial, san-serif]To continue reading this article, you must be a subscriber to TimesSelect. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, san-serif]This article is available exclusively for TimesSelect subscribers until it is made available to the public.[/FONT]

(picture looks like the Jack Nicklaus Punta Espada Signature Golf Couse, which is set to be inagurated by Jack on Nov. 1(?)

I find it very weird that I can't get to the full article with my subscription ..did a Lexis Nexis search and can't get to it through there neither ..nor pro-quest. ..can anyone?

edited to add
..just tried EBSCO and got nada..

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
..here's something on Roco Ki

... The Roco Ki real estate venture will open the Westin Roco Ki Beach and Golf Resort in Punta Cana in winter 2007, and is planning at least seven high-end hotels ...

... the Oscar de la Renta-decorated Tortuga Bay resort in the Dominican Republic confirmed ... has a fitness center, tennis courts, a private white-sand beach club and ...

... just a three-and-a-half-hour flight from John F. Kennedy Airport in New ... a number of high-end getaways that are beginning to call the Dominican Republic home ...

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
wow! its a great and very extensive article, with many great new revelations!

..some new and very juicy stuff about Samana and Miches!

Last edited:

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
..and some well deserved criticism.

Here's a good scoop:

Fernando Rainieri, a former tourism secretary and the brother of the Punta Cana pioneer Frank Rainieri, is part of a group of Dominican investors that includes the wealthy Najri family, that bought some beachfront land in 1997 in Miches, the largely undeveloped area between the resorts of Saman? and Punta Cana. They?ve recently been negotiating with a group of American and Canadian investors. (Howard Kerzner, whose company owns the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas and many others, recently died in a helicopter crash on his way to scout out land in the north.)

Last edited: