Statute of Limitations in Dominican Republic

mlentz27

Oct 27, 2006
Does anyone know the statute of limitations (I believe it may be called "prescription") in the Dominican Republic for tort actions? From the information I have been able to find, it appears that "some" tort actions in the Dominican Republic are governed by a 6 month statute of limitations. That is a very very short time period to bring an action. Are there are different time periods for different types of tort actions? Also, are there any tolling provisions? For instance, if the person injured is in the hospital in a coma, and cannot get a lawsuit filed within 6 months, or if the injured person is a minor 10 year-old girl, is there anything in the Dominican Republic law which extends the statute of limitations/prescription until these injured persons are able to act??? What about actions for wrongful death? Are such actions recognized in the Dominican Republic, and if so, what is the applicable time period to bring the action?

These are urgent inquiries, and I thank in advance all who may respond. It is appreciated.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
6 months is the standard statute of limitations ("plazo de prescripci?n") in the Dominican Republic for "unintentional torts". For exceptions to the rule, you should consult an attorney with the exact circumstances of the case.

Actions for wrongful death do exist in the D.R. under the same general rules as other torts.