New copa flight, pty-sti

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Just had late lunch in Cartagena, connected through Panama and then the new Copa flight to Santiago. I was amazed, it was full but the best economy seats (row 5, take B is you have long legs) is as good as first class and all on new Embraer 190AR. Even thought flight was full plane left 10 minutes earlier and land 15 early, Copa is amazing. The only bad thing about the new plane (and is 2x2 seating and very comfortable) is they left the entertainment system out (like not even music). Thank god I had my ipod, a plane full of Dominicans, well is like being at the car wash :)

I had Gypsy (Adventure rent a car) driver waiting for me with my car (normal rental agencies close at 9.00 PM, I landed at 11.30 PM) and I was home in bed by 1.AM (and is hour later than PTY so really was midnight, cool).

They have remolded PTY airport and it is basically a shopping mall now (but lots of room to stretch out). For us who spend time on the North Coast this is a great connection to explore the rest of South America and the Caribbean and the BEST PART you don't have to clear customs to make connecting flights (as dreadful mia).

Okay my question. Pty airport is full of tech stuff and relative cheap (but not to U.S). The guy selling LCD TV's said you can bring $1,000.00 duty free into the DR. Everytime I bring stuff in they manhandle me in that back room (pop). So, is this true?? The TV I was looking at was a 32 inch LCD for about $1200.00 Guy told me he give me a receipt for $950.00 (don't you just love the Latina culture) and I could walk right through with it.

So, is there really a $1000.00 duty free (including electronics) here in the DR?? If so, where can I see this in writing so I don't get accosted every time.

For the curious, going into Colombia it is $1500.00 duty free and I have brought three LCD TV's in the last year WITH NO TAX. Maybe they are just honest ;)

singletravel

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
I used Copa in September to fly STI PTY STI, it was great. Copa is excellent airline, thousand times better than all US carriers together. Newest fleet, always ontime, it is just great. By the way, Panama is on of the greatests countries :glasses: