Internet Service for BlackBerry Devices

Rick

Feb 21, 2002
Has anyone been able to use their BlackBerry to send and receive their email in the DR? I searched and found some information, but I am not clear concerning any advancements in the DR for the BlackBerry. I will be in the DR in December and I hope to stay in touch with my contacts. Thanks for any information that may be giving!!!!

Rick

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
My friend from NYC was visiting, and he was using his Blackberry all the time... Email & phone worked perfect, thru the Orange network...

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
My Blackberry works just fine in the DR too. Very reliable. I only attempted to use the text message capability of it though. As Squat said, it works through the Orange network.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I assume you are using Orange as a gateway to your subscribed Blackberry service in the USA?

Rick

Feb 21, 2002
I am not of sure the procedure

I assume you are using Orange as a gateway to your subscribed Blackberry service in the USA?

I have my service threw Cingular, but I will ask them if they are using Orange as a gateway. I guess I'm confused about the procedure, do I go to Orange in the DR for a simm card to use their network, or will my BlackBerry change automatically when I arrive to the DR?

Thanks, Squat, azabache, Robert

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
There's no need to change the sim card to use the Blackberry in the DR. In the US my Blackberry detects and uses T-mobile. Upon arrival in the DR the Orange Network is automatically detected. Be sure to contact your service provider before leaving for more info about using your Blackberry in the DR.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Any ATT (Cingular) device automatically switches to Orange when you get to The DR. It is expensive to use though as you're roaming...

In my case my work phone works down there so I receive calls, but don't make any...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It looks like you need to have a Blackberry subscription with a USA service provider in order to use it in the DR. As I said, Orange is just the gateway, it's not the actual Blackberry service provider.

Verizon offer Blackberry service, but's it really expensive and only for business users right now.