Temistocles Montas aka lies and more lies

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
On Tuesday, DR1 News ran a story labeled "Taxes not to be removed as planned".

Near the end of this paragraph, Mr Montas is quoted as claiming that the Leonel Govt is in such a financial bind because they spend 30% of its revenue on the foreign debt:

"the government spends RD$65 billion on foreign debt as opposed to only RD$190 billion in revenue."

Well, of course, you must know by now that he is telling you a bold faced lie.

Of the RD$190Billion in revenue they will raise in 2006, they will spend nearly nothing on external debt. The RD15$Billion in interest that they will pay goes mainly to the internal debt.

The Central Banks own document refutes Mr Montas' shameful claims:

http://www.bancentral.gov.do/publicaciones_economicas/infeco/infeco2006-06.pdf

Again, I ask, where are the DR1 posters denouncing this skullduggery? Especially those of you directly affected.....those living in the DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Mondongo: You are right. However, there are very, very few of the local DR1ers that go to the Central Bank site and peruse their data.

Plus everyone knows how the government spin doctors put their tale of woes together!! Anything out of the mouths of Medina, Montas or any of the other sheep has to be a lie. Once the "official" policy is laid out, all the higher officials have to become parrots and spew out the official garbage..

Today's papers have full page ads from 26 different industrial, agronomical and commercial associations blasting the government with numbers...we'll see.

HB

Sep 19, 2005
look what happens to a custom inspector who finds mere thousands of dollars (us) worth of bribes and scams and illegal frieght passing through ... and makes waves.....they get shot in their cars and get plastered over the front pages........does anyone have to think long about what might happened to someone who rocks a $30 million goose egg..........?

those problems are sooooo ingrained I think in that country that ...i just dont see it ever changing..........someone would have to come in and invade the country to change it... or a dictator would have to take over........otherwise it will be status quo........just my opinion .

bob

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
They all lie !!!

This is required if you want to get into politics...

They also trade drugs, steal from other people, get rich quick and so on...

-Who can believe there are any honest politician ?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for responding. I was heartened to see all these groups mount a public protest against more tax increases and excess govt spending.

What bothers me is how these politicians blatantly mislead the general public...............especially when it comes to the very large sums of money that they are borrowing.............and these sums will eventually have to be paid back...

and by the way, the RD$65Billion mentioned in the DR1 story...all of that comes from re-financing and issuing more sovereign bonds....RD$10Billion of sovereign bonds were issued in the first half of 2006....