Haunted House?

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
Just wondering....has anyone heard of a well known haunted house which I believe is located either in Bonao or betwen La Vega and Bonao. I believe it's right off the Autopista Duarte. :paranoid:
If anyone has,I'd like to know the story behind it and see pics (if any).

Thanks

Nyeden

Sep 2, 2005
Yes I heard about it also, it became more of an urban tale/myth. I don't know if it is still there anymore, I heard someone say they took it down . but one time I saw T.V documentary in the early 90's about it (on a D.R local channel). In which a team went in to investigate with cameras and recording devices, and stayed overnight. they claimed nothing unusual happened.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Over twenty five years ago, while doing some ghost hunting around the island (an avocation I suddenly dropped after a very frightful experience), I came upon the house on my way to Las Terrenas. It's boxy wooden structure painted white, on the side of the highway, a few kilometers past the cruce de San Francisco de Macorís, on the main highway between Bonao and La Vega. Nobody had pointed out the house to me. There was something unexplainable about the place. I felt it like a very dissagreeable high pitch whine, beyond the audible range. There were people living in the house. I asked them about any unexplained behavior. They conceded that previous occupants had complained about it. However, they had been living in the house less than a months. On my way back, a month later, I noticed the house was boarded up. I've never seen the house occupied again. And after all these years, it looks the same as it did 25 years ago, a dilapidated whitewashed wooden structure.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
I would like to add another house to the list.....Santiago....

....it is the house that sits adjacent to the "main" Ochoa hardware store on Imbert Avenue. It is a small abandoned home that sits on a very large lot....interestingly in a very industrialized area. No doubt many of you have seen it without even knowing it.

Business people in Santiago won't "touch" the place.

Legend has it that any person brave enough to venture in can absolutely not "last the night" in the home. HB can verify this, but word is that one of his sons actually entered into the house on a bet when he was younger, actually fell asleep in the house, but when he woke up found himself lying on the ground outside the parimeter of the property line. However, I will let Luis add what he wants to on this episode because he knows about it better than me.

I believe this would be a great place for an all night Halloween DR1 party .........next Oct. 31, 2007.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Over twenty five years ago, while doing some ghost hunting around the island (an avocation I suddenly dropped after a very frightful experience), I came upon the house on my way to Las Terrenas. It's boxy wooden structure painted white, on the side of the highway, a few kilometers past the cruce de San Francisco de Macor?s, on the main highway between Bonao and La Vega. Nobody had pointed out the house to me. There was something unexplainable about the place. I felt it like a very dissagreeable high pitch whine, beyond the audible range. There were people living in the house. I asked them about any unexplained behavior. They conceded that previous occupants had complained about it. However, they had been living in the house less than a months. On my way back, a month later, I noticed the house was boarded up. I've never seen the house occupied again. And after all these years, it looks the same as it did 25 years ago, a dilapidated whitewashed wooden structure.

so those people were the ghosts?......................................spooky -

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Here we go again...

Stories on ghosts, voodoo etc... Man Dominicans are such believers. I heard stories like these while growing up in Santiago and now that I am an adult I look back and I'm amazed at how SERIOUS the elders got when telling such stories. :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

I don't believe in any of that stuff. According to some of my friends in DR I have "cojones" because I slept in a shack by myself in one of Altamira's many hills once. The shack was about a quarter of a mile from the main guest house and it was said to be occupied by a lady who died and supposedly her ghost appeared there many times. bla bla bla bla blaaaa I slept there and slept like a baby. Nothing scary or out of the ordinary except the wind of the night making the wood crack. ;)

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
....it is the house that sits adjacent to the "main" Ochoa hardware store on Imbert Avenue. It is a small abandoned home that sits on a very large lot....interestingly in a very industrialized area. No doubt many of you have seen it without even knowing it.

Next time I go to DR, I am definitely looking for this house...

Spooky stories are hard to believe at times but they sure are fun to listen to (or read).:paranoid:

BTW, has anyone had anything supernatural ever happen to them? (and yes, I mean only supernatural);)

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004

Business people in Santiago won't "touch" the place.

For what it's worth, chatting about this with a friend in Santiago tonight. His response, typos and all:

DUH
THAT HOUSE BELONGS TO THE STATE
THATS WHY NOBDOY TOUCH IT
BECAUSE IT WAS TRUJILLOS HOUSE

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
See...there you are....the ghost of "El Jefe"....

....likely some witches in there too........

No wonder no one can spend the night in its entirety...........

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
As I said, take my friend's information 'for what it's worth', which may turnout to be nothing! I have to say he didn't hesitate in responding that it was one of Trujillo's properties in Santiago, though perhaps he's thinking of another house.

It could explain, though, why there's a 'small abandoned home that sits on a very large lot....interestingly in a very industrialized area' that no businessman will touch. Not to mention it would explain the restless spirits.

Perhaps Hillbilly or someone else from Santiago knows the real scoop. I'll ask around a little more and advise if I get any information.

Sep 20, 2003
I rented a flat in Gazcue earlier this year. Nearby there was a large two story house on a rather nice residential street. It was in ruins and overgrown. I was surprised that the neighborhood would tolertate such an eyesore. I was told that the house had once belonged to one of Trujillo's brothers. It had been looted and destroyed after the family had fled(In 1961). Apparently no one has wanted to renovate the place and live there. It's in a great location, and the structure still looks sound. Too bad.

Perhaps people think living in one of Trujillo's old houses is some kind of jinx?

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
For what it's worth, chatting about this with a friend in Santiago tonight. His response, typos and all:

DUH
THAT HOUSE BELONGS TO THE STATE
THATS WHY NOBDOY TOUCH IT
BECAUSE IT WAS TRUJILLOS HOUSE

it was probably a torture chamber, or where they brought bodies, if it was Trujillo's for sure there are skeletons and skulls in there.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Okay, to add to the rumor of ownership of the house next to Ochoa on Imbert. Again, this is from another source in Santiago, personally I have no idea :squareeye:

xxxxx says:
It's property of Poppy Bermúdez. It's a house where the Bermudez family own since a large number of years.
Mr. Ochoa was interested in buying that lot to Bermudez.
People says that Ochoa and Bermudez didn't have good relations and Bermudez was avoiding the Ochoa's propossal.
so, some time before Ochoa build the new store on imbert side, he coincided with Bermudez in a social activity, becoming a dialog something like this one:

Ochoa: Hey Poppy (Bermudez) let sell me the old house and lot that you have at imbert avenue.
Bermudez: I can't. That's a family's remain.
Ochoa: A family's remain? Don't joke, that's only a couple of trees, let me cut those trees and build a store.
Bermudez: mmmm, let sell me your store in the front
Ochoa: Why? You aren't in the hardware's market. Why do you want a hardware store?
Bermudez: I wish to fall down the store and plant some trees​

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Wow...that dialogue CFA posted.....

....was more scary than the haunted houses!

Two really intelligent business people (Ochoa and Bermudez) being made to sound like linguistic morons by CFA's "source".

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I thought the story he relayed was humorous and left it the way he typed it. I'm sure he didn't witness this conversation (if it even occurred) and even more certain if it did the original Spanish used would have been more proper and likely much more colorful.

As for the spelling and syntax, I could have cleaned it up but it didn't even cross my mind. I learned years ago to be thankful any time someone speaks English well enough that we don't have to rely on my somewhat limited Spanish. I'm in their country, in reality it should be me struggling in their language.

Sep 20, 2003
Does anyone know of any other "haunted houses" in the DR? This is an interesting thread.

Perhaps this is going to far off the OP, but are there any other kind of supernatural creatures in Dominican culture? Vampires, other kinds of undead?