need some advice about moving please!!!!

courtney.khan

Sep 28, 2006
hello:

i am moving to puerto plata in april of next year. i just recently came back and found an apartment for rent in costambar. i walked around the community and saw the apartment. i loved it there. does any one live there or know anything about the area. any info would be much appreciated. thank you guys in advance.

courtney

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Tons of great people live all or part time in CostAmbar. You will like it there.

Hb

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I live and work in Puerto Plata and know "personally" several who live in Costambar.

There are mixed reports about Costambar. It is NOT a gated community but there has been increased security presense. Whether or not it is effective - not sure yet.

During the winter months the area fills up with snowbirds - 1 to 6 month residents from north america. At that time the crime rate tends to go up and you get more "unsavoury" types around. IF you protect yourself reasonably, behave appropriately and don't hang around with the wrong people you should be fine.

The apartment - not on the ground floor? Bars on all the windows? When you move in - immediately have all the locks rekeyed or changed. Dont' walk around with laptops, expensive electronics, jewellery etc. Don't go home night after night falling over drunk. These are the things to keep you safer. There are lots of others but basically do't make yourself a target.

This doesn't just apply to Costambar by the way. But the reality is there is a higher concentration of targets in the winter months. Not sure how long you will be living there. April is the end of high season and many of the snowbirds are heading home.

Good luck.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Courtney.khan! Welcome to what we think is a great community. Read Planner's advice carefully, it is to the point. Re "security", police yourself as Puerto Plata police can not be relied on. They have their hands full in Puerto Plata. Watch out for your neighbours & they will help you to watch your back. Enjoy! Canadian Bob.

courtney.khan

Sep 28, 2006
is there another neighborhood that would be safer for a person who will be living by themselves? and or do you think costambar is fine? the apt is not on the ground floor and when i went to go and visit the community i was told and i saw that you had to be a renter or owner to be let into the community or if youwere not you had to leave your id with the men at the front gate. do you have any other suggestions for me? any woud be helpful? thank you again.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
While there is a gate at the entrance with some form of security there are many many other ways to get into costambar if someone really wants to get in. Don't allow that gate to give you a sense of security.

Where you are looking to move might be quite safe. Tell us where you are looking to rent. Maybe someone has experience with living there.

There are lots and lots of neighbourhoods, some safer then others. I will send you a PM.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Courtney,

Are you actually moving into this apartment, what I mean is, are you paying rent now to hold it until April? If you are not, chances are that particular apartment won't be available when you get here, right? April is a long time away.
Take the advice of Canadian Bob and Planner. The gate really means nothing, it does not provide a real sense of security, in my opinion.
Is there not a Costambar Residents Association, there was when I lived there. Find out how to contact them, they may be able to help you get settled. I wouldn't keep thinking that the apartment you looked at is going to be the one you are moving into. Just remember to not take one on the main floor if you are worried about being safe. My apartment was on the main floor, with a watchman sitting in the hall, and I still managed to get robbed, they cleaned me out of everything, even my suitcases!!!
I learned my lesson the hard way, make contacts, read the Costambar Monthly newsletter, the more knowledge you have, the wiser your choice will be.
Also, will you have a vehicle when you are here and is Costambar where you are going to be working? You will have to think about how you will be getting around as well.

Marlie

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Hey Marliejenica! Being on the second floor does not make you any more secure than the main floor. ALL the windows must be barred and the door into the apartment must be very secure. The thieves climb like monkeys! Canadian Bob.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Hey Marliejenica! Being on the second floor does not make you any more secure than the main floor. ALL the windows must be barred and the door into the apartment must be very secure. The thieves climb like monkeys! Canadian Bob.

Yes, of course, you are correct. I should have mentioned that as well. Mind you, I lived in 2 other apartments, all on the second floor, without bars etc. and never had a problem. I do believe because those were in "middle class" Domincan neighbourhoods and I got to know all my neighbours, I felt more secure. My boss also lived next door and always kept an eye out for me:eek: Maybe not so much in todays DR, but back then, no problem.

Marlie

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Yes, of course, you are correct. I should have mentioned that as well. Mind you, I lived in 2 other apartments, all on the second floor, without bars etc. and never had a problem. I do believe because those were in "middle class" Domincan neighbourhoods and I got to know all my neighbours, I felt more secure. My boss also lived next door and always kept an eye out for me:eek: Maybe not so much in todays DR, but back then, no problem.

Marlie

I agree with you Marlie, I have also lived in "middle class" Dominican neighbourhoods, not areas of high concentrations of ex pats, I have gotten to know many of my neighbours wherever I lived. Once you become part of the neighbourhood everyone looks out for each other. I have always felt pretty safe!

I think a lot of it is about attitude, acting appropriate - making sure you don't set yourself up too! By that I mean no matter where you live make sure you are very careful about who gets into your apartment, who sees what you have and how you live. For example : if you hire a cleaning person, make sure they come from someone you know and have a good strong reference. That person will have complete access to your home and will see all. Same with the person who fixes your air conditioner (or wahtever). If they are in your home they see what you have and how god the door and window locks are.

Most importantly is the person or persons you date! ( I use that word loosely) Do not bring people back to your apartment that you don't really know. IF you are in a serious relationship with someone - of course they will be in your house, but you might not want all their friends over! You don't know those people.

A lot of crime here is an inside job. That you can do something about!

Marlie made another good point too - where will you be working? Costambar is far enough away it will require a car. You do not want to be taking motoconchos!

courtney.khan

Sep 28, 2006
thank you all for all your advice. i actaully plan at working at a local school, volunteering and possibly working at a resort for money. i will not have a car, but costambar does have a 24 taxi service available. i plan to keep myself prety low key and the woman i am renting the apt from is going to refer a maid to me, s ohopefully i can keep visitirs to a seious minimum.