RIU Mambo - Health Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikfair

Nov 19, 2006
I returned on the 15th November from 2 weeks at the RIU Mambo. Whilst I was there myself and my partner ate in the Italian Restaurant. We both felt quite ill the next day and had to get tablets from the doctor. 3 Days and 3 trips to the docs later I was still ill with sickness and diarrhea. The doc sent me to the hospital and I ended up staying for 2 days. I was given IV fluids and antibiotics and have been told that I had acute gastroenteritis.

On the day I was finally diagnosed and released from hospital we returned to the hotel to find the Italian restaurant shut and being completely washed down with disinfectant - coincidence?

My tour operator insists that the hotel is not to blame. We only ate at this hotel prior to becoming ill and we didn't even eat on the plane. This completely ruined our trip as we were ill for about 8 days out of 14.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has been ill during this time.

Whilst I would recommend DR to anyone I would never recommend this hotel - for obvious reasons......!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
They had serious health issues regarding some intestinal or stomach virus about a year ago. They are probably being on the safe side by disinfecting the restaurant but it definetly sounds like you either got food poisoning or maybe that virus.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I said it before and I'll say it again.a trip to a Riu=a trip to the hospital.

I don't know why anyone would stay at those hotels.
hifiman

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Most likely the norovirus, 700 + people all sick on a Carnival Cruise, they are now in the process of disinfecting the entire ship and have postponed the next cruise.
It was decided that someone who boarded in Spain had the virus, which spread very rapidly throughout the ship:ermm:
Very possibly someone travelled to the this resort with the virus and spread it throughout?
Mind you, now that I have reread your post - it sounds like just you and your partner were sick? If no one else came down with it, how could it be the resorts fault, unless what you ate, no one else did? How possible is that?
Don't get me wrong - I feel terrible for you that your vacation was ruined and I do hope that you are feeling better.
Marlie

fluffyduck

Nov 18, 2006
we were fine

we were in mambo at the end of october this year and didn't get ill didn't know anyone else that did either, the only upsets i got was from drinking too much rum!! we ate in the steak and itallian resturant so i'm afraid i think you were just unlucky

Status
Not open for further replies.