Trash on the North-Coast beaches....

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Did anyone take a walk on the beach in Cabarete and East of Cabarete in the last couple of days??? I have never seen so much trash comming from the ocean propelled by the winds and the waves. Mostly plastic bottles, but during my walk I even saw an old arm chair and cushions? Where is this coming from the rivers after the rain or from Garbage barges being dumped in the ocean? Does anyone know?

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Unbelievable the amounts....

The beaches are full, do you think the tourism associations will ever get their act straight and arrange for clean-up?

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
He he, don't think tourismo, at least tourismo in Sosua, does anything if it dosen't give them extra money. Probably one of the most corrupt and useless organizations in the whole country.

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
We noticed the same thing when we were there in November and wondered why there wasn't more enforcement and obligation also on the landowners for clean up. We saw one stretch in front of a new condo complex being built that was strewn with debris; some plastic bottles and stuff which may have come in from ocean dumping but also some building material which initiated inland. I wonder what the law is about oceanfront owners keeping up with their properties.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Our complex cleans up in front of our beach, but the moment you walk east or west you see the garbage. I think it is based on culture here, to throw garbage on the side of the road or pile it up in the backyard and when the pile is too high set fire to it. Too bad because there is garbage pick-up, at least in Cabarete. Maybe not in the mountain area and that is why when it rains it is carried into the ocean. But with the amount of garbage I saw this week I would also imagine that garbage is being dumped in the Ocean by barges.

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Suzannel,
You would be suprised how much stuff come down the Yasica east of Cabarete. I even seen dead horse and cows floating down to the 'Boca de Yasica' when the rains are really strong. Remember, this river flows through some big dominican residential areas between Sabaneta and the high point before Santiago!

Status
Not open for further replies.