maybe a bizarre question...

noborders

Dec 4, 2006
Hi all, I wonder if it is possible to find an alternative sort of accomodation, namely being a paying guest with a quiet family that has a room to rent : this is because I have developed a fear of noise in hotels (discos, guests talking late at night, TVs in the next room at full volume, doors being slamed etc) and still want to carry on travelling;

I have done this mostly in central Asia (in some countries like Uzbekistan it was illegal, but I was not the only one to do so and it was so much more interesting than staying in standard hotels) and loved the experience...

Is this alternative kind of accomodation available, and where could I find some addresses ? (The ideal would be elderly couples or a lady, in residential areas).

I'll land in Puerto Plata, dream of discovering the nature in the mountains before reaching Santo Domingo, from where I'll go to Port au Prince (Haiti) where I'll visit an NGO for some days.

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice (and maybe address)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
B&Bs are not all that popular, but there are a few. I am not familiar with any in POP, but just let the readers up there chime in. They will tell you what is what.

Good luck.

HB

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Jardin Suizo on the Malecon in Puerto Plata isn't the standard definition of a B&B but comes pretty close. It has a number of apartments and a restaurant downstairs & is run by Jaime who is Swiss & his wife Maria who is Dominican. Jaime speaks English, Spanish & German. Then there are small hotels like Portofino & Apart Hotel Lomar. I don't offhand know of any Dominican families who do B&B, there may be some foreign couples who do. There used to be Noelle's which would have fitted your description perfectly, but sadly she died & I don't think it is still run as a B&B.

noborders

Dec 4, 2006
Thank you, Lambada and Hillbilly. I'll copy the addresses, but I was wondering, in case I could not find accomodation in Santo Domingo for instance : would it be shocking if I were asking (for instance in a lady's hairdresser, as I am a woman) if she knew in the neighbourhood a quiet family who would have a room to rent, even if it is not official ? This is what I did in Morocco just a month ago, and 2 hairdressers could give me good contacts ; the same method worked in east Turkey as well, last summer.