Visiting in January - a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawn W

Sep 3, 2006
Returning to POP in January but staying at the Gran Ventena. Are the pavements on the East side of the city still being dug up (around the Texaco station area) in particular, they were pretty bad last time I was there and made it difficult to walk?

Also, I'm thinking of booking onto the Cafe Cito pub crawl, has anyone been on it, would you recommend it?

Is it still last orders at midnight Sunday to Thursday.If so, does this apply to clubs,in particular Mangu?

Are there any nice fish restaurants in POP?

Can point me in the right direction regarding a detailed street map of POP?

Many thanks in advance.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pavements and streets are dug up even more from texaco on a way to santiago up to the malecon. so no change there.

baileyboy

Jun 27, 2004
My husband told me, that they had lifted the curfews for Christmas celebration. He is in Cda now, but he said that for Decemeber there are no curfews due to the holiday season.

lisa

ChicaBianca

Jul 13, 2006
curfews are not during the xmas week.
In the playa Dorada area everything is open till 3.0am also on weekdays. I was in gran ventana for 3 weeks in November.

They are working on the streets in this moment. The mainroad from Puerto Plata to Confresi is terrible (starting at la Barica). The malecon is beautifull now it is renewed and also the beach of playa dorada is much better then before.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
3 a.m is way past my bedtime now. hopefully crime will not spike...

enjoy !!

harrydr

On Vacation
Dec 12, 2006
The roads are even worse. Try Parada Maimon for a great meal, a short drive out of POP on the way to Santiago. Cheap and yummy. All the locals eat there.

Dawn W

Sep 3, 2006
Parada Maimon.. is that

on the left hand side of the road just past the turn off for the Rui hotels?

PS Thanks for all of your replies

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a fish restaurant, behing la pulga, opposite pescaderia, i think it's called la cachita, good food and not expensive.
no street map but you can play with google map image, it's surprisingly good. you can see who is hiding swimming pools behind those fences!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just outside Playa Dorada turn right as if to go to Cafe Cito, there is a fish restaurant where the locals eat called El Manguito. Look for the place down some steps on right hand side.

Bit of a fracas going on about the main road up by the hospital. To cap it all they started building a wall in the middle of the road. Local businesses protested and got the work stopped. If you want newspaper links let me know.

Ayesha Abreu

Dec 14, 2006
www.vhhr.com
Visitin in January-a few questions

You are a very smart person; no doubts at all by choosing Gran Ventana this time for your next visit to Puerto Plata. There is a lot of construction going on right now in order to complete de works on the West side of the city as the President of the country wants to complete the renovation of the street by December 26th., 06.

Puerto Plata has experienced a huge transformation; the stripe from Long Beach the public beach at POP (Malecon) passing throug Costa Dorada & Playa Dorada was completely regenerated by the same company hired by Cancun to restore the damages suffered in their beach, last year after being completely washed away by a hurricane. As a result, all the visitors can enjoy a white sand beach with clear blue water and close to 60 meters wide between the shore and the hotels.

You can easily walk from Gran Ventana to the town either by the beach or the new walkways along the main road.

I can assure you that you will fully enjoy your next visit to POP.

Returning to POP in January but staying at the Gran Ventena. Are the pavements on the East side of the city still being dug up (around the Texaco station area) in particular, they were pretty bad last time I was there and made it difficult to walk?

Also, I'm thinking of booking onto the Cafe Cito pub crawl, has anyone been on it, would you recommend it?

Is it still last orders at midnight Sunday to Thursday.If so, does this apply to clubs,in particular Mangu?

Are there any nice fish restaurants in POP?

Can point me in the right direction regarding a detailed street map of POP?

Many thanks in advance.

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
can you rally walk from playa d beach around to long beach?

last time we went for a walk from flamenco it got quite bad just after the second market??

Is this now possible with the beach reconstruction?

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.