Being held in Jail in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

delacruz

Dec 10, 2006
Can anyone tell me how it works in the DR? It seems that the police can hold you in jail straight away and demand money from you to let you out, is this bail?

My boyfriend has been involved in an argument with the mother of his daughter, he has looked after his daughter with his family since her birth (almost 5 years). She now seems to be demanding to have his daughter and he is now in jail!! Not 100% sure what has actually happened but he is now having to get a lawyer to sort out the legal matter with his daughter. Can anyone tell me is this common, can they hold you without charge?

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Can anyone tell me how it works in the DR? It seems that the police can hold you in jail straight away and demand money from you to let you out, is this bail?

My boyfriend has been involved in an argument with the mother of his daughter, he has looked after his daughter with his family since her birth (almost 5 years). She now seems to be demanding to have his daughter and he is now in jail!! Not 100% sure what has actually happened but he is now having to get a lawyer to sort out the legal matter with his daughter. Can anyone tell me is this common, can they hold you without charge?

Police in the DR have been known to put people in jail for no good reason, other than to extort money from them. That being said, I don't think it is as common as it used to be.

That being said, are you positive your boyfriend really is in jail? It is a common scam for Dominican men to tell their foreign girlfriends this story so that the girlfriend sends money to bail him out. The boyfriend never was in jail, but now he has money to pay for his Christmas gifts to his real DR girlfriend. Is there anyone that can research this possibility for you? Good luck.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Guilty until proven innocent. The opposite of the way its done in the states. Getting a lawyer is the best way to go. Buena suerte.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Police in the DR have been known to put people in jail for no good reason, other than to extort money from them. That being said, I don't think it is as common as it used to be.

That being said, are you positive your boyfriend really is in jail? It is a common scam for Dominican men to tell their foreign girlfriends this story so that the girlfriend sends money to bail him out. The boyfriend never was in jail, but now he has money to pay for his Christmas gifts to his real DR girlfriend. Is there anyone that can research this possibility for you? Good luck.

very good observation.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Yes or the father died and he needs money for the funeral. Or the mother is very sick and is gonna die. But the brother/relative in jail is the favorite and most common one used, because its often true or they use a true story from a few years ago and apply it fictiously to the foreign girlfriend.

delacruz

Dec 10, 2006
Hi thanks for your prompt responses! This is what I feared, is it the scam that may happen!! Nothing bad has happened so far and he's not asked me for money.. I have spoken to a couple of people and to the police.. who let me call him on his mobile. (It definately sounded like jail!!) It is so difficult to tell isn't it...

He has always translated conversations, taught me Spanish from the begining and encouraged me to learn Spanish which I am doing.. I have been back twice and spent alot of time with friends and family there getting to know him better. Thanks for any helpful info! Although I obviously pay me to get there etc I do not hand out money and he does not ask... so not all bad I feel he's honest but I'm just trying to be sensible.

Thanks again

He got someone else to call me to tell me what had happened as he couldn't call me for two days, and he was more worried about what I would think than me getting him out, yesterday he told me 'it's my problem, we will sort it, i just want your love and that you come in janue=ary for us to be together, as I need to hold you'

delacruz

Dec 10, 2006
Ps He's brother had to go to Santa Domingo for an eye operation when I was there and I was never asked for any money and I never gave any. I know these are common scams I don't want to be taken for a ride but knowing the mother of his daughter and the situation i can understand this happening!

Thanks again

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Hi thanks for your prompt responses! This is what I feared, is it the scam that may happen!! Nothing bad has happened so far and he's not asked me for money.. I have spoken to a couple of people and to the police.. who let me call him on his mobile. (It definately sounded like jail!!) It is so difficult to tell isn't it...

He has always translated conversations, taught me Spanish from the begining and encouraged me to learn Spanish which I am doing.. I have been back twice and spent alot of time with friends and family there getting to know him better. Thanks for any helpful info! Although I obviously pay me to get there etc I do not hand out money and he does not ask... so not all bad I feel he's honest but I'm just trying to be sensible.

Thanks again

He got someone else to call me to tell me what had happened as he couldn't call me for two days, and he was more worried about what I would think than me getting him out, yesterday he told me 'it's my problem, we will sort it, i just want your love and that you come in janue=ary for us to be together, as I need to hold you'

oh man sounds like he's appealing to your nurturing instincts which he knows will come afloat anytime now. Us women always want to help out and want to nurture, solve problems, help people, especially those we care about. Be cautious.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

I has a P.R. employee once that used to be "in jail" every weekend-depending on what girlfriend he was talking to. Man, that guy committed a lot of crimes but always made it to work on Monday mornings.
john

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
They're allowed to have cell phones in jail? I don't know the answer to this, just putting it out there.

You spoke to police, meaning you called the police station directly?

PS
It is not uncommon for friends and family to be involved in these scams.

Sorry I sound so suspicious, but I don't like to see innocent people being used and hurt.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I has a P.R. employee once that used to be "in jail" every weekend-depending on what girlfriend he was talking to. Man, that guy committed a lot of crimes but always made it to work on Monday mornings.
john

I bet he also had a clean police report when applying for his visa. I always wondered how they explained that one away! :confused:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Why do good girls end up in mess with some motoconcho type guy with a bag full of problems? When will you women find real respected men in DR?
AZB

Russian

Aug 27, 2004
www.partbeamsystech.com
AZB, the reason is a simple statistics - good girls coming to visit DR as tourists mostly interact with motoconcho type guys hanging around tourist areas. Hormones and Cuba Libre complete the job. You can not blame these girls (same goes for boys, by the way), on first two-week visit they have very little chance for anything else, and for next visit most of them are already trapped.

delacruz

Dec 10, 2006
Merry Christmas everyone! and thanks for all your info! Yes I thought that about the phone but his mother gave them some money, so I could call a couple of times but I've not been able to talk to him now for two days(3 today),yesterday I spoke with his Mother's employer who is a wealthier Dominican Professional Man, he told me he is still in jail and he had given $10,000 RD to get him out, or pay the woman to retract the charge(whatever it is!)! So there is a scam the damned mother of his daughter, thinks she can get money this way!!! It's obvously put his family under a lot of pressure and worry at this time! i do beleive him, but I'm just being sensible and checking things out!!

Thanks and I'll keep you posted as to what happens.

Thanks again

Tuan

Aug 28, 2004
Delacruz! There it is! Go after the son of the "wealthier Dominican Professional Man", or the "Dominican Professional Man" himself!
Case solved!

Status
Not open for further replies.