Change our euros to pesos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Hi There,

My husband and I will be travelling independantly in the country in February and I read in another thread that we best change our euros to pesos to avoid paying too much for everything. We arrive at the Puerto Plata airport and pick up a rental car there. Where is the best place to change currency around there?
Greetz ,
Katrien

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
I would not walk around with large amounts of euros to change, but get pesos directly from an ATM (pin). There's one just outside the terminal building at Puerto Plata airport.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
take at least 30 dollars each as you have to pay to get in (10 dollars) and out (20 dollars) of the country. note that pesos are NOT accepted but euros are (respectively 10 and 20, so you lose on that).
i would advice to use your cards to withdraw cash from atm. you can take some dollars, in small change, for tips.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
There is a Banreservas Bank at the airport with decent exchange rate (not sure of their operating hours), but I wouldn't go the Global exchange inside the airport because their rates are not favorable. The best place to exchange money is at one of the exchange houses in the city like at Caribe Tours but that might cost you transportation money just to get there. ATM is best option but maybe you don't have that one plus who knows what fees you are charged back home, wherever that is.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I agree with Conchman, AVOID "Global Exchange" in the airport!
Bring a few hundred USD and then you can use an ATM later in the trip.

Last edited:

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Tamborista, Hlywud, if you're American bringing dollars is a good idea, because you already have them. But for Europeans it would mean paying exchange fees twice, and that always ends up as the most costly option. I've got a strong suspicion what country the OP is from, with ATM cards that work in the DR and don't charge very high fees. There are ATM machines everywhere in the country, including at POP airport. Like dv8 says, bringing a few dollars to pay the entry fee is smart, if you've already have them lying around, but if not, I would just pay your tourist card in euros.

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Yes indeed, great invention those atm's

Thank you all very much for your advice!
As I read on this forum that the DR is kinda "Wild West", we prefer to not keep too much cash on us while we travel and changing currency twice is indeed more expensive then using the atm I think.
So we'll just change enough to dollars here at home in the bank for entry and leaving the country (very weird, paying 20$ to leave a country, never heard of) and then maybe some small change. Since the euro is 1.3 versus USD at the moment, it would still be cheaper paying those fees in USD.
Then in the DR, we'll use the atm's with our visa card to get pesos. Are there atm's in Bayahibe and Saman?? If so, then we'll just have to figure out how much we need to withdrawl at each place.
Can you pay with visa at petrol stations? What about supermarkets, can you pay with visa there?
One more concern: my husband thinks that using the atm makes you a target because they can see that you take out money. Is that indeed a concern?
Thanks in advance for your invaluable info.
Katrien

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
katrien, DR is 3rd world but somehow dr1ers manage to live here without too many problems, so do not worry.
atms are available throughout the country, if you are concerned use those in banks (you will be looked after by armed security) and never ever take out more than you need.
gas stations and big supermarkets do accept visa card.
please note, that when using your card you must produce some other proof of identity (which somehow does not seem to apply when you are dominican...).
i forgot to mention: 10 dollars charge to get into DR is for your tourist card and does not apply if you have already purchased it from the dominican embassy.
20 dollars on the way out is some sort of tax and MAY be included in your ticket, please check with your provider.

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
Dear DV8,
Thank you very much, this really helps. In Belgium we all have an ID-card, so we can show it when paying with visa.
And we'll check weather leaving tax is included in our tickets.
I must say that I am a bit shocked with everything I read on this forum.
My husband and I travelled around South-Africa for 4 weeks, cautious and carefull because it's no secret how violent the country is (but also increadably beautyfull), but now it seems that the DR is at least as dangerous?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
katrien,

one has to be reasonably careful regardless of where they are, belgium or DR. do not wear short shorts, hawaiian shirt and chains of gold, do not take huge amounts of cash at once from the atm, do not walk alone at night (not only because you may be robbed, mainly because you may be involved in a car accident...), just take simple precautions.

post where are you flying to and which hotel you stay in so someone will tell you REAL transit fare.

DR is not a wolf, get out of the AI and enjoy it. whatever your tour operator may say, take it with a pinch of salt, it's their job to drain your pocket. the farther you get from AI resorts the better it will get.

people are nice and helpful and i am sure that even without spanish your english and french will let you communicate.

ask your bank, in the uk you can exchange back your unused currency with no commission, it may happen that banks in belgium have the same offers.

have fun in DR and enjoy your stay!

Katrien

Sep 20, 2004
all on our own (violence in the Saman? penisula?)

Dear dv8,

I wouldn't be concerned if we were staying in a hotel, but we're not. We'll be travelling 3 weeks independently with a rental car. We arrive at Puerto Plata airport and will be going down to La Ci?naga below Barahona to visit my brother who imigrated there two years ago. (Lives in a beach caba?a with his DR girlfriend Pina) And the plan is to then go on to Bayahibe, Playa Lim?n, Saman? and back to PP. Which brings me to another question. On the Debbies forum, I read that there were a lot of muggins and break-ins in Las Terrenas last February. Is this still the case? Since LT is also on our itinerary (if we get there despite the dangerous traffic) I do worry.
Katrien

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i live in POP and we constantly hear stories about crime, i would not worry about it that much.
look out for motoconchos, do not drive at night and chose a car with tinted windows, not good to see at night but good enough not to be seen when inside and identified as gringos.

you will be travelling off main tourist attractions so i presume you'd be treated very well by locals and as long as you do not flash cash no one should think about attacking you.

it is good that you are concerned but do not get yourself into the state of panic, i walk in POP alone all the time and nothing has ever happened to me.
keep your bags close, do not take luis vuitton luggage :cheeky: (they recognize it even here, power of media).

i am sure you will have fun.

i have not been into dominican wilderness ;) but i presume you should either stock on food or take cash, colmados (local shops) do not take cards.

one more advice, look at what you eat, stomach problems can make your journey miserable.

Status
Not open for further replies.