Blood test for a job?

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
Just wondering, is it customary for companies in DR to request a blood test from prospective employees? I've heard of urine tests but blood test, never. If so, I'm wondering, what exactly are they looking for?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Just wondering, is it customary for companies in DR to request a blood test from prospective employees? I've heard of urine tests but blood test, never. If so, I'm wondering, what exactly are they looking for?

pregnancy, HIV?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The DR doesn't have medical confidentiality regulations similar to other countries. As an employee who goes out on medical leave cannot be terminated, they try to be sure the prospective employee has no medical problems. Many employers will run a HIV test. Most Dominican employers will run a pregnancy test (usually urine test) before hiring a female employee as Dominican labor laws make it impossible to terminate an employee during pregnancy and gives them a minimum of 6 weeks prenatal and six weeks of postnatal paid leave. They can't control conception after hiring, but want to avoid a preconceived liability.

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
The DR doesn't have medical confidentiality regulations similar to other countries. As an employee who goes out on medical leave cannot be terminated, they try to be sure the prospective employee has no medical problems. Many employers will run a HIV test. Most Dominican employers will run a pregnancy test (usually urine test) before hiring a female employee as Dominican labor laws make it impossible to terminate an employee during pregnancy and gives them a minimum of 6 weeks prenatal and six weeks of postnatal paid leave. They can't control conception after hiring, but want to avoid a preconceived liability.

I can understand the pregnancy issues for women. But it is a male friend of mine who's taking the blood test - I guess it's probably HIV testing.

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
Yes, one of the blood samples is for HIV testing. I was required to have all this blood work done when I was hired at POP Village. If I remember correctly, there were 3 different tests done on the bloodwork and the urine sample was the pregnancy test. As this was 14 years ago, I can't recall what the other tests beside HIV were done, sorry!

Marlie