Rui Merengue

T

Tracey

Can anyone let me know what the Rui Merengue Hotel is like. All comments are welcome!

V

verona

hi, riu merengue is lovely and very beautifull place. rooms are big, nice and clean. waitress and other staff are frienly. food is ah very good! entertiment is available every evening and is very funny. animation team who works every day a.m. 10-00.30 and p.m. 3-about 9, organize doing for "lazy people" , basketball on the water, football, petanque, aerobic, spannish lesson, merengue lesson and everything. they also doing some show in evening and they are very very GREAT! beach is beautiful and very clean, watersportcenter is about one kilometer for hotel and to bay is umbeliavable. enjoy your vacations!

W

Wade

The Hotel and surrounding scenery is beautiful. The staff are very friendly and seem to sincerely try and make your vacation enjoyable. My only problem with the place was that the watersports are a fair hike away and are not owned by the resort but allow you free use of equipment if you show them your bracelet. We took out a sunfish sailboat and when we came back in, they noticed a rip in the sail and charged us $40 US for repairs. I met with the hotel manager to complain about the charge and that's when I found out the watersports are separate. We've been all over the carribean and never heard of such a thing as charging customers for the normal wear and tear of equipment.

Other than that I would recommend to anyone without reservation to stay at Riu Merengue.

B

Becky

We've been there twice---have visited other resorts in the Caribbean before and since, and still think it's the best so far. No complaints whatsoever. We've going to Riu Palace in Punta Cana on Tues--it's probably a 6* compared to Riu Merengue's 5*, and my girlfriend, who just returned, said it is better than Riu Merengue, which i find hard to believe. The Palace is also a few hundred dollars more. You may find the beach at Merengue a bit disappointing---in places it can be a bit rocky, but we did not notice this at all. The resort is isolated, with no other resorts around, so we went into Puerto Plata to do some shopping on the shuttle bus for something to do & see the town; hired a private guide, but it's a poor town, not much to see. The snorkelling trip on the catamaran to Sasoua (sp) is worth it apparently, as is the monster jeep tour, but both take a entire day.

M

Mark

if ure planning a nice quiet romantic spot FORGET IT!! U'll probly spend it with a 100 kids like i did in january~~~ leaving on apr. 19 to jack tar for the fifth time in 2 years!!! (couldn't get in in january :-( )