Mysterious crocodiles

W

wilf wharton

On my last visit to the DR I was told of a mysterious minature salt water crocodile living in an inland lake. (Isla Cabrito?) If it really is only 4 feet long at best it may be a new species. Does anyone have any more information about this puzzle? I realise my guide may have been mistaken or just having a joke at my expense, however I am intrigued.

I hope someone can shine some light on this for me!

Thanks a lot,

Wilf

K

Ken

Yes they really exist... They are called Caymans. They are found in the bracken waters of Lake Enriquillo.

W

wilf wharton

Thanks for the reply Ken. I was assured they were crocodiles and not Caymans or Alligators, perhaps he was wrong though! Any other ideas folks?

Thanks once more,

Wilf

J

jay

The American crocodiles are in Lake Enriquillo. They are numererous and they are large.

Best, Jay

S

Susanne

There are both Caimans and American Crocodiles in Lake Enriquillo. The American Crocodile is found in Florida as well and looks very much like an alligator - except that the nose is more pointed and the crocodile is much more agressive.

I have included a link below where you can see a picture of one of the crocodiles in the lake. It is taken from the home page of the TV channel Discovery's expedition to Lake Enriquillo. If you go to the bottom of the page and click on "Dominican Republic" in the list of destinations, you can read more about this.

But all this reminds me: Why is it so extremely hard to find a good book on Dominican wild life - plants, insects, mammals, reptiles etc? All of us nature freaks would love one. Any recommendations?

Regards, Susanne

W

wilf wharton

Thanks for the info folks. Looks like I've been misinformed about a new species!

Thanks

Wilf