Any new information on el catey airport???

uffe

Nov 27, 2006
Hello,
I will arrive at el catey airport on January 22nd, 4:10 p.m. I'm so excited.

Still, I have some trouble gathering information about how to get to Las Galeras from the airport. Is there no public bus or any other way besides a taxi to get to Las Galeras? or at least half way to samana?

if not, how much do I need to pay for the taxi? I don't want to get ripped off right away. Would it be better to ask the hotel to send me a taxi because cheaper?
p.s.: what is the best way to get from Las Galeras to Las Terrenas by public transport other than taxi?

Thanks for your prompt replies, again.

WebDev

Jan 1, 2002
samana.net
Hello,
I will arrive at el catey airport on January 22nd, 4:10 p.m. I'm so excited.

Still, I have some trouble gathering information about how to get to Las Galeras from the airport. Is there no public bus or any other way besides a taxi to get to Las Galeras? or at least half way to samana?

if not, how much do I need to pay for the taxi? I don't want to get ripped off right away. Would it be better to ask the hotel to send me a taxi because cheaper?
p.s.: what is the best way to get from Las Galeras to Las Terrenas by public transport other than taxi?

Thanks for your prompt replies, again.

To get to Las Galeras from the ElCatey airport:
- ask the hotel you are staying to send a taxi for you, the price quoted 2 days ago was US$80, all depend of where you are staying, some hotels might over charge you.
- Outside of airport, might find someone posing as a taxi, negotiate again, might get a good price but is risky.
- negotiate with a bus driver, who is picking up passengers for Casa Marina Bay from the charter plane you arrive, I assume you arrive on a chartered plane. Must be some people on your plane who book Casa Marina Bay in Las Galeras, if not, you are out of luck.
- walk to the Sanchez-Samana highway and flag a guagua is out of the question.
No public transportation or taxi station at ElCatey at this time.

Las Galeras to Las Terrenas, public transportation....just do a search on this site...plenty of information.

Good luck,

WebDev

Jasper

Bronze
Jan 10, 2002
i use a taxi driver who lives near rincon, close to las galeras. he has a good van. his name is bartolito. reliable, good driver. if you speakie spanish you can reach him at tel nbrs 809-204-5351 or 809-321-8441. just tell him when your flight lands and tell him el catey (he usually hauls people to puerto plata prior to el catey opening). give him your name clearly and he will have a sign with your name when you leave. price will likely be about U$50 i'm guessing or around 2000 pesos but possibly higher.

you can also haul your butt to the main road about 1/2 mile from the terminal and catch the guagua to sanchez, then change to samana, then change to las galeras at the samana market. but then again, you're on holiday, right?