Santiago wants a metro?

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Ok what's the deal with Santiago now wanting a metro?

Do they really deserve it and most important will they be able to afford it?

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
They are studying the possibility of surface rail only, not like the absurdly costly subway instigated by Leonel in Santo Domingo. Canadian Bob.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Santo Domingo will have its metro, and Santiago will have its trannie train.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Dissident voices over proposed Metro in 2nd largest Dominican city

dominican today
Santiago.- The proposal promoted by mayor Jose Sued to construct a train here has spurred dissident opinions amongst the different sectors in Santiago. Popular community leaders of the second largest city?s society argue that there are other priorities that must be assumed before embarking in a mega-construction such as a train, which requires voluminous investments.

?Santiago is a city where transit is more organized. The issue with this is that great investments, metro trains, and mega-projects render juicy commissions," assured a spokesperson for the ?Falpo? popular activist group.

According to Bertha Perez, from Falpo, the mayor should consult the population in order to have a clear view that citizens here do not want a train at this time, but rather would have basic problems resolved.

Meanwhile, the media already reports comparisons of what is of highest priority: a metro or resolving the Rafey waste dumping grounds.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The main theme of the mayor's talk is that "it won't cost the citizens, the city or the country a dime."
However, one of his relatives is the guiding light behind the consulting team;s visit this week.
Thinking like a geographer, I do not think that it will happen because of the economics involved, the terrain to be covered and the population that will be served. (Yes, I know, this study could have been done by one of our teams at the PUCMM, but it does not look as good in the papers)

Talk about extending the line to the airport: All well and good but a subsidy would be needed, so far just not enought people andyou'd have to kill off al those drivers that now service the airport with taxis...
A tramway through the center of town just does not make sense, and one that went "sort of" around the central part of town would not have enought passengers to pay. Plus the "slight" problem of all those "p?blico" drivers you'd have to kill off....

Me thinks this is smoke and mirrors....buy hey! if the Spaniards make the correct "payouts" I am sure that Santiago will have a tramway!!

BTW. I met the wonderful lady that heads the tram project in Charlotte, NC. Talk about a dynamo gal! If i can find her addie i am going to see what's up with that project.....Her name is Mack!! (Nickname...)

Regarding FALPO's complaints...well they needed the newsprint...they have no standing nor do they pay enought to influence this one way or another...

HB