Dominican Robin Hoods.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
(An excerpt of a post in the http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/56895-interpol-takes-no-shyte.html thread)
Ever wonder why the locals tolerate the drug vendors in their neighbourhoods?
Ever wonder why they don't just gather up a group, and go pay a visit to the local drug dealer, and give him 4 hours to pack his stuff and leave?

I thought it might be out of fear, and fear does play a role, but that's not the real reason.
It's so ridiculous, it's hard to believe.
It's a type of Robin Hood syndrome.
The drug dealers are their friends and benefactors, at times.
The decent neighbours, kind of like/respect/fear the drug dealers.
The drug dealers don't have real jobs, and they live there in the communities, socializing, spending money in the local colmados and stores, maybe helping out some of their poor neighbours, buying them a meal, playing dominos with them, and last, but not least, THEY HAVE POLICE CONNECTIONS & PROTECTION !!!!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
(An excerpt of a post in the http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/56895-interpol-takes-no-shyte.html thread)
Ever wonder why they don't just gather up a group, and go pay a visit to the local drug dealer, and give him 4 hours to pack his stuff and leave?

I thought it might be out of fear, and fear does play a role, but that's not the real reason.
It's so ridiculous, it's hard to believe.
It's a type of Robin Hood syndrome.
The drug dealers are their friends and benefactors, at times.
The decent neighbours, kind of like/respect/fear the drug dealers.
The drug dealers don't have real jobs, and they live there in the communities, socializing, spending money in the local colmados and stores, maybe helping out some of their poor neighbours, buying them a meal, playing dominos with them, and last, but not least, THEY HAVE POLICE CONNECTIONS & PROTECTION !!!!

Maybe this should be in the Debate forum.

Fulano se la busca, Sutana se la busca. Hay que busc?rsela!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I looked for the "Apathy" forum, but couldn't find it, so posted it in living, as it is a living/breathing disease.

Maybe we could open a new forum, and call it "Despair and Resignation".

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Quirino was the big one, Elias Pi?a's answer to Pablo Escobar. Practically everyone in the province benefitted from his largesse in one way or another. There were mass protests when he was arrested.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Quirino was the big one, Elias Pi?a's answer to Pablo Escobar. Practically everyone in the province benefitted from his largesse in one way or another. There were mass protests when he was arrested.
We're caught in a "catch 22" situation and there appears to be no solution.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Yes, Yes.
That sounds better, and is more accurate.

Despair and Resignation

Yes, I like the sound of that.

Then you link that to the 'learned helplessness' which the older generation has probably as a result of Trujillo's regime. The older generation who are barrio residents or displaced campesinos by & large aren't involved in the drug business but they are beneficiaries of the dealers' largesse and they do remember Trujillo...........so their influence on their grandchildren is probably the message 'don't rock the boat'.

I think there could be a solution if only this 'industry' wasn't sanctioned by top military and politicians. I've noticed a new word creeping into the papers recently 'narcopoliticos'.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
All of the stuff happening now and the feeling around it is reminding me so much of the last two slaphappy years of the Hippo's reign. It has the same feeling of non-reality and 'living on the 3rd rock from the sun'. Kinda gritting one's teeth with the I will Survive! - power or no power - attitude. I remember a plaintive post from Chiri asking if she should actually come home and crazy predictions by Golo of palace revolts a la Julius Ceasar style. :eek: I remember much hope when thinking that Fernandez could perhaps win and all of us gringo's furtively learning the L secret sign!

Don't you all get the same feeling? Are we dealing with the same kind of craziness and distance from reality? (None of that apathy stuff!)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Don't you all get the same feeling? Are we dealing with the same kind of craziness and distance from reality? (None of that apathy stuff!)
I don't think so.
I think this way of thinking has been in existence forever.
It's more exposed now, with modern communications, and the drug scene has made it take a new twist.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
'living on the 3rd rock from the sun'.

Given all the crack around I think that's very apt..............:ermm:

But I'd agree with Rocky that more & more is being spoken about, more & more journalists are nosing around and because in the drug industry itself both territory & profits are important more and more incumbents are shopping other incumbents when they overreach themselves.

Mortran

Oct 12, 2004
anti-jihad.dd.vg
Perhaps it's simply because the drug dealers don't harm anybody. They only sell their stuff and that's it. Who cares?
The problem is the state that makes such a big deal about it and criminalizes a crime without victims. No anti-drug laws, no drug delinquency. It's that easy.
Perhaps the locals in the barrios are not in the same way state indoctrinated as most of us are. They see in the drug dealers nothing else but people doing business.

A

apostropheman

if only it was that easy:chinese:

decriminalization is unlikely to stop people stealing to pay for their habit. that is a large part of "the harm" and many people care. if there were no other issues associated with drugs and the dealers it wouldn't be an issue but that's NOT reality. in point of fact many people are impacted, harmed, by these associated crimes...every day.:pirate:

Perhaps it's simply because the drug dealers don't harm anybody. They only sell their stuff and that's it. Who cares?
The problem is the state that makes such a big deal about it and criminalizes a crime without victims. No anti-drug laws, no drug delinquency. It's that easy.
Perhaps the locals in the barrios are not in the same way state indoctrinated as most of us are. They see in the drug dealers nothing else but people doing business.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
if only it was that easy:chinese:

decriminalization is unlikely to stop people stealing to pay for their habit. that is a large part of "the harm" and many people care. if there were no other issues associated with drugs and the dealers it wouldn't be an issue but that's NOT reality. in point of fact many people are impacted, harmed, by these associated crimes...every day.:pirate:
If you legalize drugs, the profit goes out of it and thus the high price. It's the act of smuggling and being clandestine that makes expensive, and enforcement and sanctions that is expensive for government.

I advocate giving drugs for free. Let the users have all they want. Let them all die, and let the rest of society watch.

Take the drug enforcement $$$ and use it for chains of inhouse rehab facilities.

Cull the herd from within. Let them all die. Get rid of the scum.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
There was a time when I advocated legalizing all drugs and if every country in the world did it at once that would still be OK with me. The issue is that if a country does legalize it and others don't then that country becomes a haven for all junkies to come in and use. Since it is not realistic that all countries will do this at once I now think that we need to go to the other extreme and apply the death penalty for drug dealers and anyone carrying more than a certain amount of drugs (Like Singapore does).

As I've seen The DR turn from a country where drugs were taboo 15 years ago to a place where you can find it anywhere and where dealers and users do it in such a blatant manner it has become clear to me that the only way to contain this problem is to take extreme radical measures. Unlike alcohol drugs just affect a wider swath of society because users will do whatever to whomever just to get that next high...thus you have an exponential increase in break ins, murders, and a general paranoia within the population.

Honestly I would support neighborhood "cleanup" groups that would go about taking out these bad elements of society. I think every neighborhood should have one of these groups. Right now some of this "work: is being carried out by the police...the problem is that they are also involved in the drug trade, thus they are only taking out the competition.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There was a time when I advocated legalizing all drugs and if every country in the world did it at once that would still be OK with me. The issue is that if a country does legalize it and others don't then that country becomes a haven for all junkies to come in and use. Since it is not realistic that all countries will do this at once I now think that we need to go to the other extreme and apply the death penalty for drug dealers and anyone carrying more than a certain amount of drugs (Like Singapore does).

As I've seen The DR turn from a country where drugs were taboo 15 years ago to a place where you can find it anywhere and where dealers and users do it in such a blatant manner it has become clear to me that the only way to contain this problem is to take extreme radical measures. Unlike alcohol drugs just affect a wider swath of society because users will do whatever to whomever just to get that next high...thus you have an exponential increase in break ins, murders, and a general paranoia within the population.

Honestly I would support neighborhood "cleanup" groups that would go about taking out these bad elements of society. I think every neighborhood should have one of these groups. Right now some of this "work: is being carried out by the police...the problem is that they are also involved in the drug trade, thus they are only taking out the competition.
Post of the year.
Nothing more to be said, after that.