cash machines?

amiga y rum lover

Jan 4, 2007
Hola!

I will be traveling to Punta Cana in two weeks. Is it convenient to use cash machines in the D.R.? Are there any issues? Or should I plan on bringing all my spending money with me?

Thanks!

danceaway

Jun 22, 2006
Depends....

I have stayed in Punta Cana several times and had no problems using the ATM at the resort that I was at. All ATM's pay out in local currency of course.
If you want to convert local currency you must go to a bank. Every resort that I stayed at would not exchange money. I found it easier to just bring what spending money I needed with me from home. Most A1's offer their guests a safe deposit box in their rooms, and they are very convenient to use. Also be careful to take enough money with you if you will be out and about. There were several times that I traveled outside of the resort and found that I went to use an ATM and it was "down" ( out of money ) Also remember that your bank may have a limit on the amount that you can withdraw in a 24 hour period. I would definatly recommend that you check with your bank before you leave, as each country, as well as some banking institutions, have variables that may effect you while traveling to another country. If you use a credit card to withdraw funds I would definatly recommend that you go to a bank and complete your transaction there. You will need to bring your passport with you and at least one other form of ID. I found that the Banco Popular at the Plaza Bavaro ( right outside of the Bavaro Princess Resort ) was the best place to go. The teller that handles all transactions for tourists is the most pleasant banking employee that I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with. It has been almost a year since I dealt with him, and I forgot his name ( which in it self is a terrible thing, but I assure you he is kind, patient and is extremly helpful) Banks have very unusual hours in the RD compared to banks in other countries that I have traveled to. They close very early !!!!! . I have learned alot in my few trips to the RD, but one thing for sure, if you do go to an A1 money is not an issue. Tips and gratuities are always welcome, and excepted in the most gracious manner. Remember these people work very hard for what little they actually make. Dont be the "Ugly Tourist, and look down your nose at other, remember you to work for a living ( just taking a guess here ) "The most important thing to remember is that there are usually hefty fees attached to cash advances, and depending on the exchange rate you may come out on the short side of fun once you get back from your trip and start opening up those bills. Also, what ever you do, dont flash what ever you do have. No matter where you travel, not just to the RD, that is always a good idea. I traveled by myself several times and as a single woman never once had any problem and was never scarred. I felt completly comfortable, but its best to play on the side of caution. For a number of reasons. Just read some of the other posts here. A fool and his / her money are soon parted after a few drinks, the beauty of the island and a head swimming with fun while on vacation. What ever you do enjoy, as it sounds like it may be your first visit to the most incredibale place in the world. I feel in love with this island, the people, and the beauty of just laying on a white sand beach, and closing my eyes and not having a care in the world, and definatly not wanting to think about having to use an ATM, or run into any unforseen problems with the world back home, and that included damn ATM's !!!! I hope I have been able to give use some useful advise. Just educate yourself, as it seems you are trying to do, and trust me, this is a great pleace to get the best advise....I wish I had found this sight before my first trip, and now when I go I do not feel like a tourist. !!!! these guys and gals are helpful, and dont mind helping you out at all. Take care, enjoy, and put the troubles of life at home in that room safe. Go relax !!!!! Close your eyes one the beach, and the day you leave, before you catch that bus back to the airport, go down to the beach, lean back, dip your hair in the water, and make three wishes. get up shake the water out, let the sun dry your hair and take your three wishes
home with you along with a bit of the magic of the ocean and the beach.
Enjoy, and when you get back. PM me if you want and share your adventure, hope its all good !!!!! ;) :D Danceaway

amiga y rum lover

Jan 4, 2007
Thank you for all your good advice. This is my first trip to Dominican Republic but I have traveled to various places in the Carribean. I am looking forward to this vacation and I have only 11 days to wait! I will report back when I return.