Recommendations please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolphincaz

Jan 6, 2007
Hi all,

my hubby and I are currently booked into the Holiday Village at the end of April. We have been unable to upgrade to the adult only, and after reading the thread on the HV are considering changing hotels. The choices we have are.:-

Gran Ventana
Blue Bay Getaway
Club hotel Rui Merengue

any recommendations from the extensive!!!! list of alternatives that we have been offered by First ( and last ) Choice.

..........Caz

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Gran Ventana is very nice and in Playa Dorada. BlueBay is newly renovated and just reopened but I have not been inside yet.

I would not touch the RIU

Hope that helps.

Dolphincaz

Jan 6, 2007
Planner

Many thanks giving us your views. Does anyone have any views on any others? We still have 3 months and 2 weeks before we fly.

With regards to the Gran Ventana, what is the entertainment, pools, food, accomodation like? We understand that everybody has different opinons so all aspects are accepted lol.

Bearing in mind we have no children, apart from ourselves lol. We want to explore the real DR, but would like to relax and have some fun, but not spend every day in a hotel complex.

I am really looking forward to the Ocean World.

Caz

greyman

Dec 26, 2006
Dolphincaz, You didn't say how much time you have. I also bet you've done the AI thing before. Rent a condo for a week or longer if possible in Sosua. Enjoy a great breakfast at Rockys or Brittania. Fact is you have several places to choose from. A good selection of bars etc. with alot of friendly people. See Mark and Colleen at the Checkpoint bar. Enjoy a really good beach. In short,break away from the all inclusives!

Island777

Oct 9, 2005
Try Cabarete

Try Cabarete, stay on the beach at Palm Beach Condos or Velero, or for less money across the street from the beach at Cita del Sol, Kaoba or Albatros. You will be able to walk to inexpensive restaurants in Callehone de la Loma (the new Steak House "Locos ..." is among the finest restaurants in Cabarete and $10 for good meat or fish) or more American priced restaurants on the beach. Pomodora is among the best pasta places anywhere. Have breakfast at the German bakery or Friends, or go to Turtle on the beach next to Palm Beach for the best breakfast scenery imagineable. Within 200 meters you will have 24-hour medical facilities, dozens of restaurants, bars, beach disco's, internet cafes and salons and grocery stores and pharmacies. In short, everything you could possibly need. And no need to have a car to explore. Its only 10 minutes to Sosua. Cabarete has the flavor of a European enclave within the Dominican environment. Plus the beach is simply the best.

torontocouple

Jan 20, 2007
Same situation as you! We cancelled and going to Bahia Principle now in san juan...It was 60$pp to switch to a 4+ star

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
You will be able to walk to inexpensive restaurants in Callehone de la Loma (the new Steak House "Locos ..." is among the finest restaurants in Cabarete and $10 for good meat or fish)

Where exactly is this? I haven't heard of it...

And I second the vote for Velero, or especially Palm Beach Condos... the oceanfront condos are huge (around 1400 sq. ft.) and have a really large balcony facing the ocean.

If you stay at Velero, try Claro's for breakfast, it's in front of Casa Blanco/El Magnifico. No vew, but awesome food, a little more creative than most places in Cabarete.

If staying at Palm Beach Condos, try Cafe Marlene, in the same Piazza/Plaza as Pomodoro...again, not much of a view, but good, reasonable food, especially breakfast. Both places offer free wi-fi, if you're interested...

marliejaneca

Bronze
Oct 7, 2003
I believe the poster said they only have those choices listed, as they have booked and paid already and their tour operator is allowing them to switch without penalty (or small $$$ to change?).

They do not have any other options, so it is pointless to give them advice on any other hotels or condos - right? Let us not confuse the issue.

From reading the extensive thread on HV already, it looks like the ones that have already changed resorts have opted to go to Gran Vantana, as it is still in the Playa Dorada complex.

Marlie

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
The steak house in Caberete is across from the enterence to Ocean Dreams about 50 yard down the street on the right before you go into the village.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
I would have not changed hotels, but since you are - go to Gran Ventana. It is high end in the same area and beach and the shows and food are great. Clean, modern hotel. I stayed there for 2 weeks and it was great.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Hi all,

my hubby and I are currently booked into the Holiday Village at the end of April. We have been unable to upgrade to the adult only, and after reading the thread on the HV are considering changing hotels. The choices we have are.:-

Gran Ventana
Blue Bay Getaway
Club hotel Rui Merengue

any recommendations from the extensive!!!! list of alternatives that we have been offered by First ( and last ) Choice.

..........Caz

Have stayed at both the GV and BBG as well as other RIU resorts in another area of the DR. Be aware that the 3 resorts you are reviewing all have different star ratings so depending on what you are looking for, you have made 3 good choices. Would also depend on whether you wanted to be in Playa Dorad( first 2 are) or out in Maimon in the RIU complex. Good luck and happy travels...feel free to PM if you have any questions.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Good points drloca. To the OP what exactly are you looking for? what matters to you? Give us more info and we can give you some direction.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
The steak house in Caberete is across from the enterence to Ocean Dreams about 50 yard down the street on the right before you go into the village.

is this the one with the palapa (palm) roof? I went by it the other day, hadn't been out that way in about 30 days. Nice to see it was finally finished! Any other info/reviews on this restaurant or hours it keeps?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
It's on the left hand side going into the village. Some days it's open for lunch, but it opens about 4PM for dinner. The food is grilled right in front of you and the steaks are very good if you don't get it well done. It's small. It seats about 20-30 people at a time. Chris the owner is great and they'll go out of their way to make you happy. It's average price is about $300RD for a steak.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
is this the one with the palapa (palm) roof? I went by it the other day, hadn't been out that way in about 30 days. Nice to see it was finally finished! Any other info/reviews on this restaurant or hours it keeps?

The rest. your talking about just opened and is very expensive. I don't think they'll be in business very long. The steak rest. is on the road as you go into La Loma. You turn left on the road just before you get into Cabarete. Across from Ocean Dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.