Maps of Santiago, Moca, RD

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Very nice maps, ChipOO but I can't see Los Alamos where my palace is at.
BTW, I'll be in Santiago for Semana Santa. Care for a cold one at my favorite watering hole, Ahi-bar? Will arrive on April 2.. will send you a pm. Let me know
if you're interested. Yes, I'm Santiaguero hasta la tambora. Ask your Mrs. what this mean.

see ya !!

zeus.

C

Chip00

Very nice maps, ChipOO but I can't see Los Alamos where my palace is at.
BTW, I'll be in Santiago for Semana Santa. Care for a cold one at my favorite watering hole, Ahi-bar? Will arrive on April 2.. will send you a pm. Let me know
if you're interested. Yes, I'm Santiaguero hasta la tambora. Ask your Mrs. what this mean.

see ya !!

zeus.

Send me a pm when you get in town. I travel a bit but if I can make it I will. Also, if I can't there are a few other expats here who might make it.

Con respecto al dicho "hasta la tambora" si soy gringo pero enitiendo eso y tambien me considero "santiaguero".

Sep 19, 2005
chip...heres your assignment, (wether you choose to accept it or not! ha ha)..go find a map of La Riena showing all the roads.....just like the maps of moca and santiago show all the roads.

I want to find a map that shows all the roads outside of the urban centers.. but have not been successful so far.

The best i could come up with is the satelite phots. But most of Moca and Tamboril is out of focus.

bob

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
But most of Moca and Tamboril is out of focus.

bob

So is the area where I was born in Santiago. It's been like that ever since I installed google earth. I've been looking for ways to contact them asking when they will update but have had no luck.

C

Chip00

chip...heres your assignment, (wether you choose to accept it or not! ha ha)..go find a map of La Riena showing all the roads.....just like the maps of moca and santiago show all the roads.

I want to find a map that shows all the roads outside of the urban centers.. but have not been successful so far.

The best i could come up with is the satelite phots. But most of Moca and Tamboril is out of focus.

bob

Bob - would be nice - all I have to say is it took me like 4 years of searching on the web to get the maps I've posted! I've checked in Spanish too. I just don't think that they can be had.

You can get a good road map of the country at La Sirena but it won't be to the level that you would like to have it for sure unfortunately. Just do what I do when I get lost - stop at a colmado and ask for directions and get a Presidente as well. After a few stops getting to where you want to go won't seem so important!

Sep 19, 2005
I am a map feak. I have maybe 100 topgraphc guadrangle maps of the North east and north dakota. I have three of the best maps i have seen of the DR...very detailed santiago map. I have one of the north region that has santiago on one side and the north side of the country on the other side, with small areas set aside for the misc tones..sosua, puerto platta, moca, Mao ect. The store that had them sold the last one to Hillbilly. because i went back to buy more and there were none.

you would think that the town or goverment offices that hold onto land deed records would have maps of all the roads...to show where land lots are....WOULD'NT YOU???? ha ha ha

bob

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Care for a cold one at my favorite watering hole, Ahi-bar?

I'm getting a little old so my memory may not be up to par, but was AHI BAR closed down after El Presidente decreed the new bar closing hours?

The name is too short to do a search on.......
............can anyone answer if they are closed or not?

Sep 19, 2005
no AHI bar is still open...I think "Ambis I" closed down about the time the decree came out....but It wasnt doing so good before that any way....it never seemed open or had many people on friday nights.

bob

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
no AHI bar is still open...I think Ambis I closed down about the time the decree came out....but It wasnt doing so good before that any way....it never seemed open or had many people on friday nights.

bob

Thanks, just like I said, bad memory....
..........but a point for my side, the name was almost the same(similar)! :chinese:

Now if I was a drinker, I bet I would have known better!

Mephs

Sep 11, 2003
Chip,

Thanks for the maps. When driving in Moca I always have to guess where everything is by triangulation (how far from fortaleza-Duarte-Ram?n C?ceres). Santiago is not too bad, because I can always get a taxi, but the map is still useful because now I know where I would be relative to the areas I'm familiar with.

The bad thing with asking directions is that people will tell you to turn based on some landmark or business that I'm not familiar with (for example, make a right at the cambio, left at the gas station, another left at the colmado...). I've found it is much easier if I pay a concho to show me the way and I follow with the car.

Thanks again!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Can anyone tell me which road is the one to go up the mountains towards Jamao and Puerto Plata? Is it the one that says to Monte de la Jagua?

The couple of times I've driven there it was very confusing and I had to stop and ask for directions to get out of town. I'm also confused because in the map there's a road that to "Autopista Duarte"...I always thought that to get to Autopista Duarte (Highway one) from Moca you needed to go toward Santiago or La Vega.

C

Chip00

Can anyone tell me which road is the one to go up the mountains towards Jamao and Puerto Plata? Is it the one that says to Monte de la Jagua?

The couple of times I've driven there it was very confusing and I had to stop and ask for directions to get out of town. I'm also confused because in the map there's a road that to "Autopista Duarte"...I always thought that to get to Autopista Duarte (Highway one) from Moca you needed to go toward Santiago or La Vega.

There is one road from Moca that goes to Jamao through San Victor but it is not shown on the Moca map. The turn off is on the road from Moca to Licey on the right hand side right before you get to the colmado and place where they sell chicharron - I believe there is a sign as well.

As far as getting to the Autopista from Moca yes that road shown on the map will take you to the Autopista. It comes out at the overpass that has been under construction forever. BTW the road is in good condition too.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
So if I understand you correctly you would need to take the road that says "To Santiago" and then turn off at some point.

I like that drive just to see the mountains, even thought the road From San Francisco to Salcedo absolutely sucks unless they've fixed it since I drove through there.

Sep 19, 2005
So if I understand you correctly you would need to take the road that says "To Santiago" and then turn off at some point.

I like that drive just to see the mountains, even thought the road From San Francisco to Salcedo absolutely sucks unless they've fixed it since I drove through there.

I dont think so...it depends really on where you want to go once you get on ret 1.

do you want to go to La Vega or south?, or do you want to head towards santiago . If you follow the road that takes you to the overpass, that has been under construction for so long, that might be a longer way to get to Santiago....but is the best way to go south.

bob

Sep 19, 2005

quote]

what map are you seeing "to Monte de la Jagua"

?

the road to puerto plata that goes through Jamao al Norte....is route 21....that road comes right out of Moca...and you need to pay attention when you come into San Victor for the rigth turn ..if coming from Moca...there is a good sized gas station , right there on the south side of the road.

bob

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004

Road's been fixed. Was there just last week.

domenico

Jan 4, 2004
to experts:driving STI airport to Rincon de Piedra

im looking to make the drive to rincon de piedra, san jose de las matas, could anyone here be so nice and give me a detailed set of directions from the airport.im a expert driver but i just need directions