Carnival in La Vega

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Viewing Stands in La Vega

Can anyone tell me about the viewing stands in La Vega: cost, availablility, location, etc. I'm going on Sunday, Feb. 18th with about 14-15 people and know that they would all be more comfortable sitting!
Thanks
Bob

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Can anyone tell me about the viewing stands in La Vega: cost, availablility, location, etc. I'm going on Sunday, Feb. 18th with about 14-15 people and know that they would all be more comfortable sitting!
Thanks
Bob
We'll be there then, also.

Sep 19, 2005
I have the opinion, they are free...dont know 100% for sure...when we drove the parade route a few hours before the parade...I saw maybe 4 different places that they had the bleachers set up...they looked like they were about 30 feet long and 10 feet high.. with bench seating like at a high school football game.

there are all kinds of commercial advertising all along the route..so if you got there a few(3, better) hours early...you would be able to find it pretty easily......

parking may be your biggest issue once you find the route...

bob

jamdla

Feb 8, 2007
Thanks
Bob
Try in the morning, like 11 o'clock. for the best spots.
Cafeteria Rivera *antigua Induveca*, good food. not expensive in the PEDRO RIVERA Av.
If you need help just call me, No charge for that:cheeky: 1 829 910 1600
I'll be busy until one o'clokc PM, but you can call me saturday. My name is Jose

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
That makes 2 of us. Can't wait..my first Carnival!

Just make sure you stay clear of the traditional butt-whacking ritual, last time I got butt-whacked I had a sore butt for days. I hear that they use cowhide ballooons and they have to pass inspection to make sure it's not dangerous, but after they pass inspection they "pad" the balloons with some hard stuff, maybe rocks, which makes it really painful. That should be punishable by law.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Just make sure you stay clear of the traditional butt-whacking ritual, last time I got butt-whacked I had a sore butt for days. I hear that they use cowhide ballooons and they have to pass inspection to make sure it's not dangerous, but after they pass inspection they "pad" the balloons with some hard stuff, maybe rocks, which makes it really painful. That should be punishable by law.
I thought they are inflated pigs bladders. I can assure you SOME are NOT. My best guess are bowling balls on a stick. I had a huge bruise on the back of my thigh for almost two weeks from last year.

pielmorena

Oct 23, 2006
Same here.
I'm hoping to arrive in town that Sunday morning and depart for the north coast the next day. ;) ;)

We'll probably all be back on this forum talking about our bruises....:paranoid: :paranoid:

I'm going to try to take some good pics and post.:bunny:

fightingirish

Dec 8, 2005
27 de Feb

I will be in Jarabacoa on 27 de Febrero. Given that it's a big national holiday, etc... will there be Carnival action in La Vega that evening? Or does it only happen on Sundays? (27 Feb falls on a Tuesday).

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Alida, dv8 and I "did" Carnival La Vega yesterday, the 18th. We had a fabulous time! We got there early and meandered the route before the flood of people got there.

I took an hour of great video that I wish I could post portions here. Might have to figure out YouTube to do it.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I was also there yesterday, hot as hell and my A$$ hurts, but it was fun, what a party. Oh yeah, for people who don't know, you are going to get whacked, because eventually you will have to walk on the parade route and directly in the line of fire, hahaha. I love to see the expression on parade goers faces when they get unexpectingly whacked.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i got smacked only once and i was on a way to chair too!
carnaval was amazing, part of it i missed due to a headache (music basting, hot like hell) but still WOW. and WOW again!

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
Carnaval:La Vega...

We'll probably all be back on this forum talking about our bruises....:paranoid: :paranoid:

I'm going to try to take some good pics and post.:bunny:

Sorry, no bruises for me.
Back from the land of Paradise and got pictures.
I look forward to going back next year, it was crazy !! ;) ;)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Yes, carnival was crazy. I don't think I am going back to the carnival next year although it was fun. Once is enough ;) Does anyone know what kind of stimulants some of these people are taking? They are way oversexed .... :bunny: