Information required

cbello

Nov 19, 2004
I am writing today to ask if anyone has pointers, tips or advice on opening a small business in the Dominican Republic.

I am thinking of something like a Star Buck coffee shop with twist. I am thinking of also having some small pastries, cigars and a few other items to attract customers. I would appreciate if anyone had information on any experience they had starting a business. What is needed as far as business permit, fire protection authorization to have a business, etc. and how difficult it is.

I would also like to know if people have an approximate idea of cost per square foot to rent business space. Something that would have indoor and outdoor facility holding 25 to 30 inside and same outside. I have some of the basic questions such as. Are you obligated (for other than customer service and employee care) to have a certain number of washrooms for a given size (or is this asking too much). Are there building code restrictions on anything else. How easy or difficult it is to hire employees, what are the pay scales, anything else has to be done. What is the government municipal, provincial or federal asking for?

I would be interested in hearing about any and all aspects. As my plan firms up and I start getting information I am sure I will come up with more precise questions for which I would appreciate help.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are asking a question that is worth several thousands of dollars for precise answers. That is what a consultant's fee would be.

Let me save you some money by telling you that there are shops like this in several places, especially Santo Domingo and in some of the tourist areas in the east.

North shore does not have one that I know of, but I would be very wary of trying to open one, since most of the tourists (at least that is what I am being told as of yesterday) go to AI and hardly venture out of their resorts.

Next question.

HB

dingdongdenny

Jan 6, 2007
the old adage that it takes money to make money is correct.90% of business's fail within the first year because they under funded.of the 10% left 90% of them are gone after five year's.the first thing i would say is make sure you have enough money to survive ,and know what that figure is and not guess.if you do guess do it on the high side.my first year in buisiness i had no idea what it would cost &was quite surprised .most times you buy yourself a long hour no paying job( or should i say low paying).:laugh:

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Hillbilly is right either hire a consultant or get your yourself down there as much as possible and research it yourself.
Talk to different shop owners and get a general feel for the areas needs.

Every time I go to the DR, I get more contacts and collect more information about the local businesses in the area.
I identify what type of business is lacking and then find out why that type of business does not exist in that area,kind of a hobby of mine weird eh.

Bottom line is that I know people that have opened a business on a wim and most don't make it.
I also know of businesses that were opened buy expats that are very successful.
The difference being the expat living there for a period of time stands a better chance of success through networking and contacts.

I may never do anything with the info I collect but It's nice to know that if I decide to, I can with the confidence that I know more about the Social,political and business climate then the average citizen in town.
hifiman