Garden Kids VS ISS

Status
Not open for further replies.

diego200

Jan 30, 2006
HI all

Finally, we are in Sosua, and we re looking for a school for my 3 years old daughter.

We still hesitate between the Graden Kids and the interntional school of Sosua.

Need your help, opinion and stories on both schools

Thanks
Diego

BettyB2

Mar 9, 2006
I believe a member here on Dr1 eralc777 will be teaching at Garden Kids School. I am sure if you PMd her, she could give you some information on the school. We are leaving her some small toys for the school when we visit Breezes this Friday for 9 glorious days

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
I have a child at ISS. He is very happy there and I have found the teaching staff and children very welcoming to him. The standard of teaching seems high. I have no negative comments to make about the school. I do not have personal experience of Garden kids but I know a few people who have children there who are very happy. Sorry not much help in making a decision, I think they are both excellent schools so is just based on your feelings when you visit them. Contact me if you have any specific questions about ISS.:squareeye

MrRiley

Feb 6, 2007
My Grandaughter who is 6 goes to GK and been going there for two years now. When she moved her she could only speak English and is now fluent in both Span and English.. My son used to go to ISS until he moved back to the states. I believe ISS is a better school, but better for the secondary education. I think for the cost your youngster would be fine at Garden Kids.
Just my .02 worth..

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Yep, I will be working at Garden Kids school as of August. I have been and looked around and it seems to be a lovely school. They have great behavioural policies and the curriculum they provide is very good. There class sizes are relatively small which is an excellent advantage for the children and there is so much extra support available to assist the children. Garden Kids is oversubscribed every year and I believe it is not as expensive as ISS.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
My girls go to ISS

My girls go to ISS. They're 4yrs and 2yrs and have only been there a few weeks but I am very impressed and they are very happy. The school has fantastic facilities, the staff bend over backwards to ensure that you know what your child's been up to (recording my 2 year old on her first week and giving us a CD to reassure us that she was ok). The school curriculum is very closely monitored and scheduled. If anything I'd say it's a bit advanced for a 4yr old, but I'd rather that than have her eventually fall behind in her studies.

My 4 year old previously went to The Learning Centre in Cabarete but I felt that, although her teacher (Teacher Ottie who taught Kindergarten) was outstanding, the school itself, having moved to larger premises, needed time to re-establish itself. For example, I wasn't happy that a sports field hadn't been completed at Christmas because some of the parents hadn't paid their monthly fees on time. My daughter left there on the Friday, started ISS on the Monday and slotted in straight away. I wasn't going to put my 2 year old in school so soon, but she just always wanted to stay when we went to pick her sister up, so she seemed ready, and she's loving it.

We know a few people who have had their children at Garden Kids for a number of years and they do seem very well educated and well adjusted. I was originally going to start my 4 yr old at Garden Kids, but, in all honesty, the thing that made me change my mind was that there are very, very steep stone steps there that end in a big drop down to the floor. If a child fell and tripped they could bounce over the edge and fall from a great height. There are also balconies there that I don't consider safe in a school. My 4 yr old pointed out to me that her friends went there and they hadn't fallen, but I just wasn't convinced. Even though the younger children have classes on the ground floor, they still need to use the steep steps if they need to see the Principal or visit the offices.

However, there's no doubt that Garden Kids is substantially cheaper than ISS. Also there was a choice at Garden Kids to take your kids out at 12.30pm or leave them in till 3.30pm for extra curricular activities and homework etc. At The Learning Centre the hours were 7.50am to 3.30pm which was a long day for small children and some of the parents complained (though it never seemed to tire my daughter out). At ISS the hours are 8.15am to 12.30pm for my 2yr old and 8.15am to 2.50pm for my 4yr old which seems about right. ISS also do lots of extracurricular activities such as Karate, Arts and Crafts etc and I know that children who do not study at the school attend some of these.

I hope this helps you. It really pays to visit the schools, because, as a mother, you get a feel for what's right for your child.

Status
Not open for further replies.