one cheap night in Punta Cana:)

Elka

Feb 24, 2007
Hello Everybody!
Two of us are arriving from Hungary/Europe in Punta Cana on 11 March 2007around 4 o clock p.m. and the other day wish to continue our tour to discover your wonderful country. We are looking for a cheap accommodation for one night. Could you please help us to find one. We would appreciate a reasonable rate, since we are backpackers on a tight budget. Looking forward hearing from you. With best wishes:) , Elka

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Try the Tropical Bavaro Clubs in Cortecito...rooms with breakfast starting around $40 US and not bad...I paid $60/night at the Sueno resort, which is part of the club for a huge 1 BR suite with jacuzzi tub...I dont have any contact info, but you can google it...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I believe the OP said they were *Backpackers* not *Jetsetters* such as yourself! El Cortecito Inn has clean inexpensive rooms for those on a budget.

tambo'

Elka

Feb 24, 2007
Wow! It sounds good!:) and how can we get there? Is there a bus or we have to take a taxi?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Wow! It sounds good!:) and how can we get there? Is there a bus or we have to take a taxi?

I cant help you with that one, not familiar with the public transportation in PUJ... but it's on the same beach and off the same road as all the other hotels, the closest big one being Ocean Bavaro, I believe...I assume there's a bus/gua gua of some sort that goes along the road...a taxi from the airport will be expensive, probably around $20-30 US. I took a cab from there to the Bavaro Express Bus stop...it was $10

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
move on further

Elka,
there are few cheap options in the Punta Cana area. Cortecito Inn being one of them. Unfortunately I believe you will have to take a taxi to it and another one the next day to get out, which will cost you as much as your room, 40U$ or more. If you don't intend to spend the next day at the beach and your flight arrives at 4 pm, it's better to try to move on directly. Take an airport taxi only as far as the Beron traffic light intersection. Then take Beron taxi company (much cheaper) or a local guagua to the town of Higuey (45kms inland) and spend the night there, it will be much cheaper, or move on to Bayahibe. Mind you, it gets dark at 7pm, you don't want to be travelling on public transport in the dark in a country you don't know.
Bartolomeo

Elka

Feb 24, 2007
Dear David/Bartolomeo,
Thanks for the information. It seems that I have to resist the Ocean?s temptation. After arrival we go to Higuey and spend there the night.
Hope the coming days will make up for the first sight of the big water:)
From Higuey we wish to travel to Las Terranas and Las Galeras, the other week to Puerta Plata and back to Punta Cana.
This forum is GREAT, many useful information and helpful people, like you:)
best wishes, Elka

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If you're not planning on checking out the Capital or Santiago, you may want to go in the other direction...stay in Punta Cana, then in the morning go to bahia del Mar and take the Ferry to Samana...then Las Teranas and Las Galeras...from there, it's an easy trek to Puerta Plata. Thenback to Punta Cana...I guess you could do that in either direction and circumnavigate the country as opposed to going back the same way you came...

Elka

Feb 24, 2007
It is good to know that I have the same idea, as your suggestion. I will convince my partner to choose this way, not to go to Higuey. But I need to know if there is a bus or any transport connection available from El Cortecito to Sabana de la Mar. My partner was searching extensively but could not find any transport connection on the above route. We do not want to rent a car. May thanks, again and again:)

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Hi, I will like to know please, if the price you said $40.00 dollars or $60.00 is per person, or per room. Thank you

Elka

Feb 24, 2007
Punta Cana-El Cortesito-Sabana de la Mar

Dear All,
Could you please help us how to reach El Cortesito from Punta Cana? Is there a gua-gua bus? or it is accessible only by a cab? The question is the same from El Cortesito to Sabana de la Mar, except the cab - it would be too expensive for us, we are backpackers.
We have already searched for it but did not find the way, a cheap one.
We would really appreciate if you could help us:) thanks in advance, Elka

Feb 7, 2007
From Cortecito/Bavaro, I don't think there is a bus to Sabana de la Mar.

There is a bus from Higuey that goes to el Seybo and Hato Mayor, and from there you may get to Sabana de la Mar. **MAY**
Rick Snyder lives in El Seybo and he may be able to ellaborate better on whethere there are any connections to SM from Seybo.

Bartolomeo67

Mar 18, 2004
Sabana de la Mar

You will have better public transport connections from Higuey or La Otra Banda to get to Sabana de la Mar then from Cortecito. Be aware, it might take you the whole day to get to Sabana or Santa Barbara de Semana on local public transport. I did it in 2 1/2 half hours following the coastal road but that was on a chartered taxi that doesn't stop each kilometer like the small guaguas do.
Bartolomeo

lunar

Jun 14, 2006
To get to Sabana de la Mar, you will need to take a gua gua to Higuey, follow with another to Hato Mayor and the last one to Sabana de la Mar. Once you get to Sabana de la Mar you can grab a Motoconcho to take you to the ferry. To reach Sabana de la Mar from Punta Cana by gua gua it will take you minimum 3 hours. Also there is a very inexpensive hotel in Punta Cana (if you only need somewhere to sleep), it is the Hotel Plaza Flamboyan right in front of Plaza Bavaro. I paid 1000 RD for the room/night. PM me if you need any more info.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
The bus from Higuey to Hato Mayor is 80 pesos and a bit more for the air conditioned tour bus and the trip is about 1 1/2 hours. From Hato Mayor it is simple to get to Sabana de la Mar as stated by Lunar. Price is 150 pesos and transportation time is about an hour.

Rick