Beach Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Larry

Feb 17, 2007
My wife and I will be visiting the Dominican for the first time next month. We love walking the beach and have done so in several different countries. I was wondering if there are any problems with crime on the beach?
Thanks

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
First of all, The Country is called "The Dominican Republic", many folks get a bug up their a$$ if you use the term "The Dominican"!

I would not leave a camera or cash unattended and go swimming, otherwise most beaches are quite safe. 99% of the young men that rent the beach chairs are very honest and will watch your stuff while you go swimming.
It is their livelihood, and they work in the same spot EVERY day.

Enjoy your trip!

Mountain Larry

Feb 17, 2007
No disrespect intended

Tamborista,
Thank you for the clarifaction regarding "The Dominican" as opposed to the correct term "Dominican Republic". I will not make the same mistake again.

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
My wife and I will be visiting the Dominican for the first time next month. We love walking the beach and have done so in several different countries. I was wondering if there are any problems with crime on the beach?
Thanks
Dont wear any flash gold chaine,s etc

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wouldn't think you would leave cameras, cash, etc, lying on the blanket at any beach in the world.

I would stick to the "regular" beaches, not one that you see driving around that is off by itself and nobody is around. Those beaches you have all to yourself might seem romantic, but pass them by.

Mountain Larry

Feb 17, 2007
I swim like a fish and my wife smells like one. Just kidding, thanks for the advice. (I hope she doesn't figure how to get on this board)

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
I swim like a fish and my wife smells like one. Just kidding, thanks for the advice. (I hope she doesn't figure how to get on this board)

i hope she doesn't either. :rolleyes:

one time long ago i left my valuables at one of the ex-pat bars while i was on the beach and i had a tab going for the presidente's. this is not to say i didn't trust the locals watching my things but i am saying this was a worry-free fix.

Sep 19, 2005
hey Larry, what beach will you be going to?

the crimes of opportunity are probably the most common in the DR.

its tough. We have that issue when me and my GF go out dancing...her purse....so we usually dont have her bring one.....

if you go...again depending on the area, and specific beach.....keep you camera wrapped well around your hand.

this is especially true if you make it into any of the cities...dont walk right along side the road where a motor cycle driver can drive by and grab anything.

enjoy the vacation

bob

Mountain Larry

Feb 17, 2007
Bob,
Not having been there yet I am really not sure what beach/beaches we will be visiting. I guess we will at least be on the beach near our hotel (Sun Village), but hope to see others as well. It sounds as if common sense is the best means of prevention.
Kyle,
excellent idea on having the tab going. For more than one reason:D

Thanks for all of the advice on safety, now may I ask what beaches in the area would people recommend?

Sep 19, 2005
well you should have beaches at your hotel....which i have never been to....PM planner for info on that hotels beach, and the beaches near by. As far as a popular beach, Kyles suggestion for Sosua is a decent one...because it is a public beach...IE there is not a hotel on the main section of the beach. Just lots of very small shops and places to eat and drink, that cater to all the people that use that beach.

keep in mind that as a tourist you will get hammered by the shop owners to come into THEIR shop and look around...for the most part, they know not everyone will come into their shop, but some of them get arrogant and rude....if you dont want to go into their shop, just tell them you have been in 50 shops already or you already ate, or you have a place you are already decided on....those answers gave me the least grief....

the shops usually try to charge at least double what they probably will settle for.....gouge is not the WORD for it ha ha ha.....

they have police patrol the walk way above the beach , where the shops and cafes are...

I cant remember seeing any crime there.....the beach maybe be a little over a 1/4 mile long....it is nice if the waves are'nt huge, because the water is very clear there.

enjoy

bob

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i always tell the beach vendors my dominicana novia has all my money. and they just laugh at me, and leave me alone...:laugh:

kirkland1222

Mar 9, 2005
Costambar has a pretty nice beach which you can walk to from Sun village's beach if you are a little adventurous.

Mountain Larry

Feb 17, 2007
Kirkland1222,
By adventurous what exactly do you mean? Is it the distance or do I have to walk through a crocodile farm or something?

Sep 19, 2005
Kirkland1222,
By adventurous what exactly do you mean? Is it the distance or do I have to walk through a crocodile farm or something?

Id go with the OR SOMETHING.......a crocodile to some is a hungry out of work.....person....

thats politically correct...right?

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.