retired musicians

Teabudd

Mar 4, 2007
If the Canadian passport office wasn't so backed up I would be in the Dominican Republic right now looking for a place to retire in.It seems like it might be at least 4 months to get one.So this forum should put me in touch with a few like minded(I hope)people who are already there.I spent most of my life travelling the world as a Rock/Blues drummer,but then one day just woke up and walked away from that lifestyle.My interests lie in restoring large yachts and houses.All the ads I see for housing in the Carribean make it seem that every North American going there has no problem with arriving with at least $400.000.00 .How embarrasing it must be to show up with less!!!The reality of course is most people can't even leave their own country with cab fare.Other than Canada taxing everyone to death and making extra effort a total waste of time,it is changing in such a negative way that a lot of people are trying to leave.It would be nice if I could communicate with someone down there who is into the local music scene and wouldn't mind being asked the usual questions about living in Dominican Republic. A parting thought for others over 60 "every day above ground is a good day" forget where I heard it but it rings true T

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
????

Assuming you were born in Canada (so your Birth Certificate shows Canada as your place of birth) and assuming you plan to fly to the DR non-stop without landing in the USA - you don't need a passport. A Birth Certificate and Canadian Driver's license will do just fine. A passport is recommended but is not required.

Gregg

Teabudd

Mar 4, 2007
Thanks for the information,I thought youHAD to have one.One problem is there doesn't seem to be any flights from Western Canada that don't stop once or twice in the States,I'll keep looking and maybe one would have to first fly to the East and then down.Thanks again T

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Gene Krupa:

Wouldn't it be easier to just get a passport?
Learn how to play the tambora y guira, and you will be the second gringo that can play merengue!

tito puente jr

Teabudd

Mar 4, 2007
Of course it would but I don't feel like waiting 4 to 6 months as I mentioned before.Thanks for mentioning Gene Krupa I still have all his albums.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Out of Victoria I only found AC flights which are severely overpriced but if Vancouver is an option:

2ufgi04.jpg

Taxes are extra and I arbitrarily chose a two week timeframe to POP - air only leaving on Mar 22. You can play around with this. I used www.selloffvacations.com but there are others.

Good luck.

Gregg