School supplies

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
I am travelling to the DR and was wanting to take a load of school supplies with me. I have packed a few things but wanted to bring more and it would probably take me about 20 - 30 pounds over the allowed baggage weight which would amount to over $100.00 (Cdn.). My question is this: Is it possible to buy school supplies there at a reasonable price and if so, is it easy to find supplies? I would rather spend $100 on supplies than give it to the airline. I did ask for a waiver (Sunwing) but they could not/would not give me one as they said they have met their humanitarian allowance.

barhanna

Aug 20, 2005
www.geocities.com
School Supplies

You have several options. One is to save the $100 and buy school supplies when you get here. Second, you could have an NGO like ours send you a letter so you are not charged when you go through the airport. We have done this for several people and groups.Third you could follow your plan but it is such a waste. There are any number of groups we could put you in touch with to help you depending on your interests and motives. We would be happy to help at dominicanoutreach@yahoo.com.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
South or North Coast?

I am travelling to the DR and was wanting to take a load of school supplies with me. I have packed a few things but wanted to bring more and it would probably take me about 20 - 30 pounds over the allowed baggage weight which would amount to over $100.00 (Cdn.). My question is this: Is it possible to buy school supplies there at a reasonable price and if so, is it easy to find supplies? I would rather spend $100 on supplies than give it to the airline. I did ask for a waiver (Sunwing) but they could not/would not give me one as they said they have met their humanitarian allowance.

Will you be travelling to the Capital or the North coast?

canbon

Apr 28, 2006
supplies

Thank you for the replies--I will be staying on the North Coast but going to the Capital as well--is one or the other better to purchase supplies? I am also wondering if the price is comparable to supplies here in Canada, for example, you can buy a box of 24 crayons here for about $2, a ream of 500 sheets of looseleaf paper for about $1. Thanks.

Maggie6872

Jul 18, 2005
La Sirena (grocery store in Santiago & Santo Domingo) has book bags for about US$4.25, so I just go there and get them, I was bringing them from the states at $10-15 a pop.

Prices are about the same for basic school supplies (paper, pens, etc), although the pencils from the states seem to be much better quality (the ones here, the graphite seems very soft and the wood breaks easily).

there is a good list on the DREAM site of things that are a little harder to get at reasonable prices:

DREAM Project: Dominican Republic Education and Mentoring Project

you may want to contact them directly with regards to a monetary donation or split what you want to give an organization into monetary and then go shopping when you get here. I would suggest you go with a known organization instead of simply just dropping by a school.

Last edited: