Sosua to Punta Cana

Status
Not open for further replies.

janjan

Mar 12, 2007
Any suggestions for a route from Playa Dorada to Punta Cana ?

We are a family 2 adults and 2 kids and have 3 days from checkout in
Dorada to checkin in Cana.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
sosua to punta cana

if money is no object fly, on the cheap take the bus from sosua or puerto plata to santo dominigo, then taxi to parada enriquillo then another bus to higuey. then a taxi to you resort. Finally you can rent a car from Avis in puero plata and drop off in punta cana i believe they will fetch your car from the hotel. the trip should take 6-7 hours driving.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Janjan,

Welcome to DR1.

As you have 3 days to make it to PC for check-in your options are wide open. If it were me I would probably try to take in a little of 2 of the major cities between the two points which would be Santiago, Santo Domingo and Higuey. As mentioned the total trip by bus would be about 8 or 9 hours allowing for transfer time in Santo Domingo and Higuey for bus change as there is no direct bus from point A to point B.

As all 3 of the cities I mentioned have a lot to offer for sights I would suggest the bus to Santo Domingo and check into a hotel there. Check out some of the sights and the next day at your leisure catch a bus to Higuey. Check into a hotel there and check out the sights. From Higuey you will only be about 1 ? hours from your final destination so plenty of time to get there. As you didn?t mention how long you will be in PC the possibility of checking out Higuey while in PC is an option and would delete the need to stop there and get a hotel while on your way to PC. That being the case you could pick Santiago as an alternate.

If you really wanted to be different and get off the ?beaten track? you could always opt for a place like El Seybo, where I live, as a place to visit. This isn?t a tourist area so you would see the DR as most Dominicans see it. There isn?t a lot to offer here but a hotel with A/C will run you 800 pesos a night and a local eatery will deliver Dominican meals to you at 10 pesos for the delivery. Of course you always have me to help guide you to this part of the world in the mountains.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Sep 19, 2005
One question is are you going to PC to fly out?...or do you have a place to stay there? if you get there the same day, have you made arraingements for a place to stay? Or is that one of the things to do on your list?

so basically is there an issue with getting there early?

three days is really comfortable. With the kids in tow...I think you should spend 2 of the days in the capitol. see some of the special history the city has to offer. Plus they have a national aquarium. I wonder what is in Higuey that attracts people besides the Basilica.....which doesnt take more than a half hour to look at!!!!!!!!!!!

Santiago is a lot less hectic than the capitol, but doesnt have near the amount of history....yeah it has dominican history....but the history of the capitol transcends the DR!!!!!!!!

they have a water park in Santiago....and some museums.....otheriwse, maybe the kids would get bored........

good luck

bob

janjan

Mar 12, 2007
Thanks for good answers

In the meantime I have made a reservation in PP for a rental for the 3 days.
150 US incl. charge for leaving the car in PC.

Does it make any change in your suggestions ?

We have booked 4 days in pc from where also we fly out

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
No suggestions yet but there is a quick question. Have you ever driven a vehicle here in the DR?????

Rick

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
HB where are you? This lady has never driven in the DR and wishes to rent a car to travel from Puerta Plata to Punta Cana.

Janjan, rather then I giving advice to you I will allow our other experienced board members respond to your statement.

I will only say, IMHO, bus is better.

Rick

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Take the bus

Janjan the bikes overtake on the left the right drive on the other side of the road you need eyes in the back of your head :bunny: take the bus

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Thanks for good answers

In the meantime I have made a reservation in PP for a rental for the 3 days.
150 US incl. charge for leaving the car in PC.

Does it make any change in your suggestions ?

We have booked 4 days in pc from where also we fly out

Does that include ALL insurance, including optional coverages offered here such as glass and tires (most rental companies will slam you for these items if damaged)? If you are going to rely on your credit card to provide coverage, be sure to get written confirmation of the coverage and bring a copy along. Also, be sure to have access to bail money (actually a payoff), because if involved in an accident with a fair amount of property damage or an injury, the driver will go to jail until either the facts are sorted out or compensation is guaranteed.
Take the bus.

Sep 19, 2005
Jan jan...the first day , dont rent...just take acab a whole bunch of places, maybe even take a bus where you can look out the front and watch the traffic ......after a day if you still feel the same about renting...then you at least heeded some of the forums advice.

i rented from day one and have rented over 20 times...and I have driven to almost every corner of the island...the driving is hectic to say the least....my only worry is driving at 75 mph and having the car fall apart...i wonder if the ambulance could make it TOO ME before i die.......when ever I feel a little wiggle..i get worried....the same goes for every car coming my way at 75 MPH...will THEIR car stay together????...

there is no inspections, there are no cares....it is a free for all for the most part.

good luck

bob

janjan

Mar 12, 2007
Wow

No doubt. I stick to the Caribe busses, and
it?s easy to find information in this fantastic forum.

We land on monday in PP and look forward to at bit of the beautiful DR

Thanks for good advises

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Wow

No doubt. I stick to the Caribe busses, and
it?s easy to find information in this fantastic forum.

We land on monday in PP and look forward to at bit of the beautiful DR

Thanks for good advises

I did this trip last month and it was quite relaxing...sittting for the 9 hours! Not sure how old the kids are but I would recommend it. Taxi from Playa Dorada to the Parada was $10. Then took the express bus with Caribe to Santo Domingo...from here you will need to transfer via taxi to Parque Enriquillo (I think I paid 30 pesos) and then take the bus to La Romana, switch then take the bus to Higuey and then from Higuey switch to the Bavaro bus). If you are willing to spend a few hours in SD killing time/sightseeing (with your luggage?), you could wait for the Bavaro Express bus from Maximo Gomez which is 4 hours non stop!

Good luck and enjoy;)

MGoss

Mar 28, 2007
When we went there, I thought I could easily drive the island, as used to our NY traffic. Boy was I wrong! Luckily, we were picked up at the airport by the manager of the Villa we were staying in and we instead rented him out. It really is not the place to drive if you are not use to it. However, we had a local helicopter land on the beach in front of our villa and take us to Santo Domingo one day and it was fabulous! I believe the pilot told us that he also goes to Punta Cana (wherever that is), as its far away for a lot of people. This way you are not waiting for flights, or long bus rides, especially if your only on a 1 or 2 week vacation, why waste a day or two in a car or bus!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
"why waste a day or two in a car or bus!" Hehehe :cheeky: I'm not laughing at you MGoss. I'm laughing with you.

In the aforementioned respect I wouldn't use the word waste as the view from a bus has always been more 'up close and personal' for me verses all the helicopters I've been on. That is of course unless flying at tree-top level which I don't think is allowed in this country. Even at tree-top level the speed just takes away from the sightseeing ability.

Speaking of buses it must be pointed out that the smaller rural buses are a great way to travel if your wish is to really see the local Dominicans in their natural state. The campasino with a couple chickens tied together at their feet being carried as they climb on board or the Dominican that boards with his or her 25 gallon propane tank on the way to or coming from the fueling point. With the rows of 2 seats on the right, 2 seats on the left and the fold-down seat in the middle being occupied by 6 or 7 people is always a true Dominican experience. All of which makes the visit more memorable and worthy of mention when you get back home.

Regardless as to what you end up doing Janjan it would be greatly appreciated if you would give use a trip report in the "Trip Report" forum when you get back home. We would truly love to hear how your visit was to include the bad with the good. Enjoy your stay in our paradise and we look forward to hearing from you.

Rick

MGoss

Mar 28, 2007
good points, i was more thinking of the time on their butts...haha, but your also so right in many of your points, you really do have a wonderful country.

Sep 19, 2005
MGoss: How much was the helicopter from cabarete to the capitol???

and how long did it take?

was the name of the company, Helidosa?

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.