La Victoria

J

jim

Just returned from a mission trip to La Victoria, about an hour outside Santo Domingo. Wondering if other travelers have any impressions. Much different world than the resort culture!

S

Sarah

What a breath of fresh air to hear from someone else involved in missions in the DR! Please, do tell us about your trip. What did you do and with what organization? I've had nothing but good experiences on my trips with Habitat for Humanity and Transformational Journeys.

J

jim

Sarah, I was part of a group of 8 people from a UCC church in Massachusetts, traveling in support of a missionary based in Santo Domingo. This was my first visit to the DR, the group's second, and essentially we spent a week working with 2 Dominican families constructing septic systems, using cement blocks and PVC pipe. The missionary primarily supports abandoned and abused women by providing counseling, health education, and employment support and training. We hope to go back next year, perhaps with a broader goal in mind.

Am well familiar with Habitat; what is the focus of the other organization? Where have you worked, and for how long?

Thanks for your note; would like to hear more about your involvement.

S

Sarah

Sounds great!

Of course Habitat for Humanity builds houses at cost with families in need around the world - over 60 countries and in their 25th year or so by now.

Transformational Journeys is another non-profit (based in Kansas City, MO). They take folks on "reverse mission trips" to a variety of places such as the Dominican Republic, Guatemala, Brazil and Kenya. "Reverse" meaning that the folks going on the trip have the intention of serving others, but end up being served themselves by the changes that occur in their hearts by helping those less fortunate. You can email Dan Hickey, President, at journey@qni.com for more information.

Both these organizations offer short-term mission trips of two or three weeks in length (or longer if you want to commit three years to Habitat).

All of my efforts over the past seven years have been concentrated in and around Barahona: building houses, schools, clinics and working with children. I lived near Barahona for a year five years ago (my longest stay) and volunteered with an organization based in both Sarasota, FL and Gloucester, England called Community Partners (COPA). They operate schools and clinics in two villages (one Dominican and one Haitian) near Barahona.

No matter what the service is that you provide, I think the Dominicans I've worked with, more that anything, feel a sense of hope by our presence. And it's a great joy to know that you're doing something to make life better for the people who live in such a beautiful place.

I could obviously go on and on! Send me a personal email if you like...

E

ECH, M.D.

Jim and Sarah, I think the work you do is commendable but not quite sure where you went. Here, when people use the word "La Victoria" it means the STATE PRISON. A very rough and totally unsavory area with very hardened criminals. Is this where you went?

S

Sarah

I have only traveled between Santo Domingo and Barahona with one side trip across the Haitian border. I don't know where La Victoria is located nor what it is. I have helped build houses with Habitat several times. I was also a 1st grade teachers assistant for a year in a school in a small village to the east of Barahona. Sorry for any confusion.

J

jim

We were in the same town as the prison, and on a couple of days saw families lined up to visit inmates. A fairly large housing development lies adjacent to the prison yards, and was the site of some construction work completed during last years trip. La Victoria does indeed seem synonomous with the prison. Tough place, for sure.