La Declaraci?n de Las Terrenas

terreneros

Mar 15, 2007
On tuesday, March 20th, at 7 pm, is the beginning of Spring (7:07 to be exact). At that time an event called "La Declaracion de Las Terrenas" will take place. It is the very small beginning of an attempt to create, maintain and increase a "green" perspective on tourism development in Samana province. Its most recent trigger was a complaint filed against the Grupo Pi?ero, owners of the Bahia Principe Hotels and Resorts, because of the way they conducted the remodeling of their hotels in the province and the TV program "El Informe con Alicia Ortega" featured the situation last February. Its origin is, however, older than that since the Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi (.com) since its inception in late 2005 attempted to push an environmental agenda as resources would fall into place.
The idea is to celebrate an annual event, and from year to year find ways to collaborate among all interested parties in promoting ecological approaches to tourism development, preserving the environment and fostering an environment of learning, support and encouragement.
If you wish to read and sign the declaration go to the Foundation's where you'll find links to English, French, Italian and Spanish texts.
The event will take place at the Biblioteca Comunitaria Anacaona in Las Terrenas. You don't have to be present to support the initiative but we would be delighted if some of you would feel encouraged to sign it as well.

If you have ideas, comments, recommendations, resources --even money--that could be used to foster this green agenda in this province we would be very appreciative of it.

Thanks, Jose Bourget, Executive Director, FMG

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Hi terreneros/Jose, please would you post a link to the website of the initiative. I'd like to have a look at it and sign if it looks right to me. Congratulations and I wish you success!

terreneros

Mar 15, 2007
Information

Hi Chris, Lambada already provided you with the Link. You may also go to samanaverdewhere the document appears in whole but in Spanish. The English link page at Fundacion Mahatma Gandhi provides links to Italian and German as well.
To the left of all of these pages you can see the names of those who have already signed it.
Thanks for your support, I hope you all get to sign it.

Last edited:

terreneros

Mar 15, 2007
Thank You.

The event took place last night and it was beautiful, happy, cozy and very meaningful. The provincial governor, a rep from Rep. Jose Acevedo and members from the national and foreign community attended. Music by Los Gringos Locos blasted the night away.
We are still collecting signatures from anyone, so please feel free to add your name by going here. The signature collection will continue for the entire year until we celebrate next year's Nowruz or Spring Equinox.
A steering committee will be formed to device action plans. Anyone with ideas or comments please send them directly to correo@fundacionmahatmagandhi.com.
Thanks,
terreneros