*** FINALLY DR CAT 1 *** (possible rumor)

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I'm not one that likes to be spreading rumors but this one is worth it.

I just finnished speaking with two cousins in the DR who are pilots. One has been flying for SAP for 13 years the other has been flying for Air Santo Domingo for 9 years (pretty much same company as they are owned by Mr. Patin).

They are telling me tha the DR has achieved Category 1 with the FAA. I immediately told them to give me some kind of news article that says this and they weren't able to produce one. They are saying that this happened last week and it hasn't been "announced" but how can something like this not be announced. THIS IS HUGE!!!

Too bad some of the posters with insight on this no longer post on here. But, can anyone proof or deny this rumor?:paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid:

C

Chip00

I checked out the FAA program on line that is in charge of classifying countries and they have a link dated 03/07/07 that says the DR is still Cat 2. It could be that it hasn't been updated.

Check out the "Results" link - it is an Excel spreadsheet format.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I checked out the FAA program on line that is in charge of classifying countries and they have a link dated 03/07/07 that says the DR is still Cat 2. It could be that it hasn't been updated.

Check out the "Results" link - it is an Excel spreadsheet format.
Chip, El Tigre mentioned that he was told that the FAA changed the DR's category "last week".

Um, last week was 3/11 to 3/17. Obviously, if the change did occured it will be posted on the FAA on the next update.

The only way they could had "updated" such info on March 7th was if they were able to fortell the future. :rolleyes:

-NALs

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
I hate rumors. And I'm sorry I posted this but I posted it in hopes that one of the Airline forum regulars from the past reads this and can shed some light. We used to have some people with a lot of insight into DR aviation.

Chip - yeah I saw that too. Thanks for pointing it out.

C

Chip00

Chip, El Tigre mentioned that he was told that the FAA changed the DR's category "last week".

Um, last week was 3/11 to 3/17. Obviously, if the change did occured it will be posted on the FAA on the next update.

The only way they could had "updated" such info on March 7th was if they were able to fortell the future. :rolleyes:

-NALs

That's why I put "It could be that it hasn't been updated." dodo!

To those interested, see link below for FAA.

FAA - International Aviation Safety Assessments (IASA) Program

Nals, see link below that might be helpful!:cheeky:

Free English Now Home Page

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
FAA Visit

An FAA team of 4 was in SDQ and left yesterday, 'evaluating' procedures for this purpose. They told the IDAC that compliance issues have improved and will answer in 2 weeks, saying they are 'cautiously optimistic'.
Note: IDAC (old DGAC). The initiative is a bilateral issue between the governments not just between the 2 institutions which is a good thing, and could return the DR to CAT I after 18 years or so. The status will have the caveat of 'Supervised CAT I', like Venezuela, but it still carries the rights and responsibilities of regular status.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
An FAA team of 4 was in SDQ and left yesterday, 'evaluating' procedures for this purpose. They told the IDAC that compliance issues have improved and will answer in 2 weeks, saying they are 'cautiously optimistic'.
Note: IDAC (old DGAC). The initiative is a bilateral issue between the governments not just between the 2 institutions which is a good thing, and could return the DR to CAT I after 18 years or so. The status will have the caveat of 'Supervised CAT I', like Venezuela, but it still carries the rights and responsibilities of regular status.

Thanks for the info. I think my cousins are getting ahead of themselves.

Do you know what landed us in CAT 2?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's why I put "It could be that it hasn't been updated." dodo!

To those interested, see link below for FAA.

FAA - International Aviation Safety Assessments (IASA) Program

Nals, see link below that might be helpful!:cheeky:

Free English Now Home Page
Hey, not fair!

You said "it could be", despite the obvious!

It's not "it could be" but rather, it is outdated info.... IF in fact the DR was moved to CAT 1 last week!

Why make a post which cast some doubt onto whether or not the FAA had updated their info regarding the DR when their info was placed before the time El Tigre was told that the DR was upgraded to CAT 1?

Ay ya yay! :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

Alright, I'll be more on topic for now on...
-NALs:classic:

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Mishaps

A series of mishaps, it is rarely one thing. One was an Air Dominicana DC-8 that reportedly burned AT the jetway some 20 years ago, among other things. I don't know any details of that in particular, just the incident.

C

Chip00

You said "it could be", despite the obvious!

I said "it could be" because El Tigerazo was expressing doubt by posting "possible rumor".

Think of it like the Spanish subjunctive! hahahaha:chinese:

Nonetheless, all I can do is hope and pray that DR is Category 1 because I miss those US300 flights from Orlando to SDQ with Aeromar and I know this is an important step for us to get our own airline again.

EMTuKnowMe

Nov 15, 2006
looking for a clue please

Can someone be so kind as to cure my ignorance of what CAT 1 and CAT 2 are, with an explanation? Thanks, in advance. -emt

I'm not one that likes to be spreading rumors but this one is worth it.

I just finnished speaking with two cousins in the DR who are pilots. One has been flying for SAP for 13 years the other has been flying for Air Santo Domingo for 9 years (pretty much same company as they are owned by Mr. Patin).

They are telling me tha the DR has achieved Category 1 with the FAA. I immediately told them to give me some kind of news article that says this and they weren't able to produce one. They are saying that this happened last week and it hasn't been "announced" but how can something like this not be announced. THIS IS HUGE!!!

Too bad some of the posters with insight on this no longer post on here. But, can anyone proof or deny this rumor?:paranoid: :paranoid: :paranoid:

Sep 19, 2005
OK Alex...tell me why i should be happy about the DR becoming a Cat 1?

will there be MORE flights?

Will the fees go down?

Will they have twice as many Brugal girls at STI???

what??

bob

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Bob,

If DR becomes CAT1 the people who cherish Dominicana de Aviacion (the national DR airline) will be extremely happy because the DR will be able to have it's OWN airline. Not like Aeromar who was a Dominican Airline but with US registered planes. This will be PURELY Dominican.

I recall that Dominicana de Aviacion had some PRETTY women as flight attendants. They served Brugal on the plane AND served Dominican food - Arroz, Habichuela y Carne. A lot of people like that.

I want it to happen to give it a second chance. I would think that perhaps now things MIGHT be different. I was never a fan of Aeromar, Air Santo Domingo (when they had NY flights on a leased 757) or Dominicana. But who knows. They might do it right if they get cat 1.

El Tigre

Jan 23, 2003
Can someone be so kind as to cure my ignorance of what CAT 1 and CAT 2 are, with an explanation? Thanks, in advance. -emt

In layman's term...

Category 1 with the FAA will mean that the DR can have it's own airline with their planes registered, serviced and everything in the DR. And most importantly that these planes can fly to American soil.

Category 2 - you flunk, you are no good and can't meet the FAA's laws/regulations. And you can't fly to the USA on your country's registered planes.

santobonao

Bronze
Jun 3, 2003
www.telemundo.com
If we get to CAT 1, this will benefit us alot, we will able to get our own airlines with dominican registered planes. We might see the return of some dominican past airline like APA, AEROMAR or air santo domingo.

Sep 19, 2005
why should the FAA care WHERE it is registered....as long as it is safe to fly.... and all planes that fly into the DR, need to be certified to fly before they leave... and that happens on dominican soil.......soooooo whats the issue...it is obvious that people on the ground in the DR can make sure a plane is safe to fly....if a plane has some major repairs needed and cant fly....IT HAS TO BE REPAIRED in the dr!!!!!!! right?

so whats the big deal to the FAA...long term care?....finances to make sure safety is maintained to standards?

I dont care who owns the plane..i only care if it is taken care of properly and it is flown properly....

I wonder if any NEW company could make a go of it ...in that market, given that so many have fallen by the wayside

bob