Rain, Rain and More Rain

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Is the rain just in the Santiago area....

or country wide? How many days?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Looking gloomy for a few days.

Gloomy.gif

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Heavy rains continue to cause flooding

QUOTE DOMINICAN TODAY

Santo Domingo.- A total of 615 people have had to leave their homes and 163 houses were flooded as a result of the heavy rains over the last 48 hours, according to a report from the Emergencies Operations Center (COE) director Colonel Juan Manuel M?ndez Garc?a.

M?ndez Garc?a explained that most of the flooding had occurred in Puerto Plata, La Vega and Espaillat province, as a result of rivers bursting their banks.

He said that the rains were expected to continue across a large part of the country, and that the green alert still applied for people living in vulnerable areas, mainly in the provinces of

Santiago, Mar?a Trinidad S?nchez, Puerto Plata, Espaillat, Saman?, Monte Plata and Santo Domingo.

In Puerto Plata the areas of El Javillar, Gregorio Luper?n, Las Tres Palmas, Aguas Negras and Padre Granero are still flooded, where a total of 135 houses were affected by the Cam? and San Marcos rivers bursting their banks.

?The COE is currently in the area assessing damage and offering help to the families that have had to be evacuated and have gone to stay with friends and relations?, said Colonel M?ndez.

He said that the Puerto Plata neighbourhoods of Villa Progreso, Padre Las casas, Haiti, los Callejones, Barrio Nuevo, La Rigola, Bayardo, Los Coquitos and urbanizaci?n Atl?ntica had also been affected.

A further ten homes are flooded in Hoyo La Joya in La Vega province, and 18 houses and one school were flooded when a gully overflowed in Espaillat province.

The COE director informed that the rains are set to continue across the country.

He said that the fact that the ground is saturated means there is a continued risk of flooding in high-risk areas, and that the COE was monitoring the situation and ready to offer assistance.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Between Sosua and Cabarete we have had 9 inches of rain since Tuesday, and more is falling tonight. The ground is saturated and flooding everywhere. Neighbours were parking their cars on our drive last night as we are on higher ground and the waters had reached engine/exhaust hight. Happy days!!

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Was it about 3 years ago that we got 3 weeks of constant rain? Be happy and thankful for the rain! We had no storms this past hurricane season. This rain is stocking the reservoirs and keeping the country from having a lack of water ... ;)

flippaxxx

Mar 26, 2007
travelling on 13th

Ahhhhh...this is not good news. I am travelling to Sosua on 13th April...does anyone know what the long term forcast is (i know its not looking good for the rest of the week) cos this is meant to be the sun holiday of a lifetime! Are there going to be any long lasting effects of the flooding???

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Yes--I have the forecast!

Ahhhhh...this is not good news. I am travelling to Sosua on 13th April...does anyone know what the long term forcast is (i know its not looking good for the rest of the week) cos this is meant to be the sun holiday of a lifetime! Are there going to be any long lasting effects of the flooding???
Yes I know it is 18 days away BUT the sun will come that day around 7 am and will go down again around 6:30 PM.
Hope this helps you.
Have a great time in the DR and dont get stressed out over something you dont have control off.

BAMullins

Oct 28, 2004
www.dominicancrossroads.com
We moved here on New Years Day 2005, and have been told we enjoyed 32 consecutive days with rain. All I remember is almost never being dry, and stuff getting moldy in our closets. We've been pretty fortunate until very recently. Small consolation to the sun-seeking tourist though!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Was it about 3 years ago that we got 3 weeks of constant rain? Be happy and thankful for the rain! We had no storms this past hurricane season. This rain is stocking the reservoirs and keeping the country from having a lack of water ... ;)
Wasn't there recently a drought in some parts of the DR?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Considering all the rain we are getting it surprised me to learn from a friend that they are having a drought in Puerto Rico.

rachaelreif

Apr 5, 2007
Has the rain stopped or does anyone know when it's going to?? I leave next Saturday, PRAYING that it doesnt rain the whole week :( I went to Hawaii last year and it rained the ENTIRE week pretty much non stop.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Has the rain stopped or does anyone know when it's going to?? I leave next Saturday, PRAYING that it doesnt rain the whole week :( I went to Hawaii last year and it rained the ENTIRE week pretty much non stop.
Been sunny all day today.
Looks like we might have mixed sun & clouds over the next few days.
Certainly no evidence of rain, but showers could happen here & there.