Sosua Policia Justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
My car is rear-ended. I get out my car to talk with the driver. He flees the scene. I get car type and plate #. Report to Policia. They could care less. They spend 30 min. writing a report. Much interrogation of me! Very little interest in the other car or apprehension. Then refuse to give me a copy of the report for my rental car company and insurance company unless i bribe them! My damage estimate is $2000!

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
On the brite side if you paid with a gold or platinum card you will be reimbursed,if you are from the US your car Ins. should cover you allso. there is no justice here if you are not Dominican.

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
If the damage is estimated at $ 2000 US, the bribe of a few hundred pesos would be well invested I guess. Thats how it works here, like it or not.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
You are better off that the police didn't pursue the other party. Their lawyer would probably have contended that you backed into them and try to hold you responsible for their damages plus extreme bodily injuries you inflicted upon them.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
HOWMAR is right. I have a friend whose truck was parked when it was hit by a Dominican driver going to fast around a curve and she was found to be the guilty party.

Pay the bribe and get the report.

Welcome to the Dominican Republic

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
I know things there are a bit shady but a parked car?

How is it possible for them to justify that? Or did they not believe it was parked?

Any luck with witnesses at all in the RD with your accident Benito?

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I know things there are a bit shady but a parked car?

How is it possible for them to justify that? Or did they not believe it was parked?

Any luck with witnesses at all in the RD with your accident Benito?

What makes you think they have to justify anthing to anybody?

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
Just my point I guess. I can understand most of the accidents, even if you are in the car and parked -that even being a stretch - but a parked car with no one in it and yet guilty?

Not saying it isn't true or doesn't happen just amazed at the extent sometimes.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
One might think that there could be no justification, but I've had it happen to me twice.
Both times they (The parties who hit me) claimed I shouldn't have been parked there.
Of course, with the right amount of influence and propina, you can get the cops to support that argument.

lucine

Mar 21, 2007
sounds like its best to own a beat up car. You know good mechanicaly but distressed looking. What does "propina" mean? Its better to just blend in i>>>>>>>>?s ?

MGoss

Mar 28, 2007
That is one of the reasons the owner of the villa we rented suggest a driver for us at roughly the same price as renting a car. It was great, he was the manager of the villa, had a nice air conditioned van, drove us everywhere, and we did not have to worry about a thing. I think most tourist should do that, find a good taxi or guide and hire them for the week.

What is a going price for this? We paid 50 dollars per day plus gasolene and food. He was with us though as long as we wanted, includng club time. We thought it was a great deal!

donquixote

Aug 2, 2005
a similiar thing happen to my daughter, she was stopped to make a turn and was hit from behind by a moto concho. the police came and she was the one who was found at fault. the real reason but not stated was that she was white and could afford to pay something.

jrf

Bronze
Jan 9, 2005
'propina' is spanish for tip.

another way to look at it is a bribe or the national unreported, undocumented, but very welcome 'hidden tax' of living in the RD

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Word to the wise: The beat cops (privates, corporals and sargeants) you deal with make less than the maid who cleans your room at a hotel. If you need police service, do everyone a favour and slip them a little something.

I actually had a policeman refuse a gratuity I subtly offered him and his colleagues for coming with me to investigate a break-in. I insisted and they relented.

Cops make crap salaries. I don't wait for them to ask, I offer.

Now, if they pull me over to harass me, it's a different story, but when I need them, I pay them. They're not spending it on beers and hookers, they're spending it on rice for the wife and formula for the baby.

And for those of us who complain that our taxes pay for that, i would recommend they post last year's income tax receipt.

Tip the cops -- they need and deserve it.

Manigault

Dec 26, 2006
Well i rented a car, got stopped by the police and they took the car for lack of paperwork insurance etc. So the owner of the vehicle tried to tell me that I had to split the propina that he had to pay the police.

lol unreal.

It sounds like you don't know anyone and in DR its who you know. In that case I suggest you pull the cop to the side and ask him to take a lower bribe.

Manigault

Dec 26, 2006
Word to the wise: The beat cops (privates, corporals and sargeants) you deal with make less than the maid who cleans your room at a hotel. If you need police service, do everyone a favour and slip them a little something.

I actually had a policeman refuse a gratuity I subtly offered him and his colleagues for coming with me to investigate a break-in. I insisted and they relented.

Cops make crap salaries. I don't wait for them to ask, I offer.

Now, if they pull me over to harass me, it's a different story, but when I need them, I pay them. They're not spending it on beers and hookers, they're spending it on rice for the wife and formula for the baby.

And for those of us who complain that our taxes pay for that, i would recommend they post last year's income tax receipt.

Tip the cops -- they need and deserve it.

The premise of your argument is way too positive and assume too much that all cops are good and use their money for positive purposes.

In reality we both don't know what they use the money for and should not be ready to give our hard earned cash away to another adult just because.

manunut

Nov 17, 2006
too true.......

You can't make this stuff up if you tried! If it wasn't so sad it would be funny!!
happens ALL the time unfortunatly.
thats why its such a pain in the M-ASS when the cops get involved in ANY dispute here.
and in a lot of other western world countries too.
?the poor dominicans,?puke!!!are not the only ones getting ?exploited?on a daily basis.
tons of ?maldito gringos?get shafted here daily by cops and other
greedy jerk off?s.
:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.