Want to visit Sosua, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elwanderer

Apr 21, 2007
Hi All,
This is my first post although I've been lurking with interest for a year or two.
I've been to the DR once for two weeks (about three years ago) during which I traveled from SD where I got a guy to take me around the old sugar cane factories and Coco Beach and joined a real-estate tour in the colonial zone. With a great group of 8-9 people we went to Caberete (Some of us visited Sosua for an afternoon) , we went on to Las Terrennas and Punta Cana and Juan Dolio. I loved what I saw of the country, enjoyed the climate, and thought the cost of living was O.K. for me. I've looked at Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Argentina; and I still think the DR may be my best bet for a relocation, but I'm concerned the cost of living there is increasing fast.
I want to live where I can see the water (I don't need to get in it, but I love to look at it), I don't want to get too cold or too hot, I need or want a cost of living under $2000/month with all the food, booze, and ocean view I want. I like the sound of Sosua Because there seem to be a number on other expats there and I maybe could socialize with some while I learn Spanish so I can socialize with locals as well.
I'm an older guy, mostly alone in the world so I like to have lots of TV channels and high speed internet.
To the point of the post I need an ocean view condo, 1 bdr, with couches for the visitors who say they'll come but probably won't, cable TV (the more channels the better), internet connection a plus, walking distance to food, bars, and stuff. Can I get this? I want I-2 months depending on the price.
Jet Blue has great deals on air fare, but they only fly to Santiago and arrive at 1:25 in the morning, so a suggestion on how to get from the airport in Santiago to Sosua would be appreciated.
I'm sorry I've gone on so long, but I keep remembering answere to previous posts that say "If you tell us what you want we could herlp more"; but maybe I've told you so much of what I want you got too bored to read it.
I'd like to come in June, July, or early Sept.
Thanks to those who ( if any) didn't.
Warmest Regards,
Gary in North Carolina

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Hi All,
This is my first post although I've been lurking with interest for a year or two.
I've been to the DR once for two weeks (about three years ago) during which I traveled from SD where I got a guy to take me around the old sugar cane factories and Coco Beach and joined a real-estate tour in the colonial zone. With a great group of 8-9 people we went to Caberete (Some of us visited Sosua for an afternoon) , we went on to Las Terrennas and Punta Cana and Juan Dolio. I loved what I saw of the country, enjoyed the climate, and thought the cost of living was O.K. for me. I've looked at Mexico, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Argentina; and I still think the DR may be my best bet for a relocation, but I'm concerned the cost of living there is increasing fast.
I want to live where I can see the water (I don't need to get in it, but I love to look at it), I don't want to get too cold or too hot, I need or want a cost of living under $2000/month with all the food, booze, and ocean view I want. I like the sound of Sosua Because there seem to be a number on other expats there and I maybe could socialize with some while I learn Spanish so I can socialize with locals as well.
I'm an older guy, mostly alone in the world so I like to have lots of TV channels and high speed internet.
To the point of the post I need an ocean view condo, 1 bdr, with couches for the visitors who say they'll come but probably won't, cable TV (the more channels the better), internet connection a plus, walking distance to food, bars, and stuff. Can I get this? I want I-2 months depending on the price.
Jet Blue has great deals on air fare, but they only fly to Santiago and arrive at 1:25 in the morning, so a suggestion on how to get from the airport in Santiago to Sosua would be appreciated.
I'm sorry I've gone on so long, but I keep remembering answere to previous posts that say "If you tell us what you want we could herlp more"; but maybe I've told you so much of what I want you got too bored to read it.
I'd like to come in June, July, or early Sept.
Thanks to those who ( if any) didn't.
Warmest Regards,
Gary in North Carolina[/QU

I live here in Sosua in the heart of the action. For 2000 you will get all the food and booze you want. The ocean view could be a bit of a problem if you want to be in walking distance to all of this.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey Gary,
If you want oceanview, but no necessarily oceanfront, then you can meet your budget.
Oceanfront property is costly and rents will be high, but there are number of condos that still have views of the ocean, that are a good distance away, and they would eat up 40% of your budget, while the rest would go to your living expenses.
Does that sound about right?

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Welcome to DR1! Let us know if you find a suitable condo. I may eventually do the same and will need to know how to navigate the transaction(s).

All those countries you mentioned have very beautiful places to retire to.
Why choose the DR? Just curious.

Elwanderer

Apr 21, 2007
Rocky,
The view from high up would be great. If I could sit on my balcony, sip an El Presadente, and puff a Dominican cigar and gaze at the water; I would be in Paradise. I would appreciate any advice you provide. I have been reading your helpful posts for years and they are often very helpful.

Gary

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky,
The view from high up would be great. If I could sit on my balcony, sip an El Presadente, and puff a Dominican cigar and gaze at the water; I would be in Paradise. I would appreciate any advice you provide. I have been reading your helpful posts for years and they are often very helpful.

Gary
There are condos in Sosua with 2nd & 3rd floor balconies that give you an ocean view.
Evidently, they are more reasonably priced that oceanfront.
I suppose the ideal is to check into a hotel for day or two, until you find the condo that suits you best.

Elwanderer

Apr 21, 2007
Rocky,
It seems you are suggesting I come there and stay somewhere temporarily and find the rental condo after I'm there so I can see it. That is a great plan if they are available on short notice like that. I didn't think I wanted to get the plane ticket until I had the condo I wanted lined up, but if vacancies are plentiful I'll just get a ticket and then book a nightly place.
Does this sound practical?
Gary

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky,
It seems you are suggesting I come there and stay somewhere temporarily and find the rental condo after I'm there so I can see it. That is a great plan if they are available on short notice like that. I didn't think I wanted to get the plane ticket until I had the condo I wanted lined up, but if vacancies are plentiful I'll just get a ticket and then book a nightly place.
Does this sound practical?
Gary
It's often the best way to do it, as it's difficult to establish over the internet if a condo is as nice as it's portrayed to be.
As it's low season, there should be enough vacancies to find what you need, even on short notice.
Of course, it's only a suggestion, but as the view is so important for you, it may be best to see for yourself.

Elwanderer

Apr 21, 2007
Rocky,
I knew you were brillant, but I didn't know you were a genius. That is surely my best bet. I have seen condos advertised as having great ocean views and the pictures look like the ocean is below the horizon.
Thanks again, BTW I went to graduate school in Canada (University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario)
See you in a couple of months,
Gary

NYC_Trini_Span

Sep 9, 2005
Gary,
PLEASE....no.....PRETTY PLEASE PLEASE ....DO NOT pass your time with all the EX-PATS if you have ANY desire to SPEAK spanish. No matter how much yyou say that you will mingle with both locals AND ex-pats, it will be a 60%/40% thing AT best.
I learned GOOD solid spanish in under 3/4 months by NOT spending anytime with the Englsih speakers. You know what happened? Living here only 6 months at the time, I ended up tutoring people who lived there for 5 and even TEN years who STRUGGLE just to buy groceries or beer.

Just a word of advice. Take 3 months of from English talkers ;), you and your LIFE will be glad you listened to me if you do.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Carolina Tar Heel:

If you listen to Rocky, you will do just fine. Your budget is workable..Rum is cheap, cigars are good (well, I have my own ideas as to that) and you can relax real good.

If you get tired of all that beach stuff, come on down to Santiago for some good rum and better cigars....

Do you golf? Do you play bridge??

HB (from the other side of the Appalachians)

Elwanderer

Apr 21, 2007
Hillbilly,
I'm only fair at bridge and poor at golf. I'm not even sure I like cigars that much, but I quit smoking cigarettes two months ago and long for that kind of satisfaction.
I know I like rum from Flore de Cana in Nicaragua. Here in the foothills of NC I do vodka&tonic; "aqua tonica" as I learned in Argentina.
I'd love to improve my bridge with someone from across the mountains.
I've been corresponding with two people who have chosen Margarita Island for retirement and their descriptions of the place sound pretty great in terms of climate, pace of life, and cost of living. There is a penthouse apt. looking over the ocean, with sat. direct TV, broadband, and all the trimmings for $750/month. Beers are 40 cents at a beach bar and gas is 10 cents a gallon.
Anybody been there?
Gary

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hillbilly,
I'm only fair at bridge and poor at golf. I'm not even sure I like cigars that much, but I quit smoking cigarettes two months ago and long for that kind of satisfaction.
I know I like rum from Flore de Cana in Nicaragua. Here in the foothills of NC I do vodka&tonic; "aqua tonica" as I learned in Argentina.
I'd love to improve my bridge with someone from across the mountains.
I've been corresponding with two people who have chosen Margarita Island for retirement and their descriptions of the place sound pretty great in terms of climate, pace of life, and cost of living. There is a penthouse apt. looking over the ocean, with sat. direct TV, broadband, and all the trimmings for $750/month. Beers are 40 cents at a beach bar and gas is 10 cents a gallon.
Anybody been there?
Gary
Haven't been there, but have heard good things.
Unlike the rest of Venezuela, it's not very dangerous.
Of course, it may be come a bit American unfriendly, what with the tension between Bush & Chavez.

Mike Freeman

Jun 21, 2006
My wife and I went to Margarita Island for 10 days. 2years ago. Yes the booze is cheap and gasoline even cheaper!
We were looking to invest in a condo or small house with a pool. We stayed in a bed and breakfast run by Americans for 3 days and then moved into the city and stayed in a nice condo located in a hotel

Just my observations based on that one trip.

We had a real estate company take us out twice to look at Condos and houses. I'll be glad to recommend this company just PM me.

Security is a big challenge there. We stayed in a Hotel in and noticed most of the condo complexes had razor wire and/or electronic security fences.

Getting there from the states was a bit of a hassle. We were warned not to stay overnight near the Caracas airport. So we flew to Miami and then made the flight to Caracas and M Island in one day.

We decided not to invest because we of the political climate although the locals and expats we met said politics stays on the mainland. We were still apprehensive about the possibilty of Chavez deciding U.S. devils should not own property in Vn.

Our overall feeling ...again based on limited time in both places...we felt safer and the people seemed friendlier in the DR.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
My wife and I went to Margarita Island for 10 days. 2years ago. Yes the booze is cheap and gasoline even cheaper!
We were looking to invest in a condo or small house with a pool. We stayed in a bed and breakfast run by Americans for 3 days and then moved into the city and stayed in a nice condo located in a hotel

We had a real estate company take us out twice to look at Condos and houses. I'll be glad to recommend this company just PM me.

Security is a big challenge there. We stayed in a Hotel in and noticed most of the condo complexes had razor wire and/or electronic security fences.

Getting there from the states was a bit of a hassle. We were warned not to stay overnight near the Caracas airport. So we flew to Miami and then made the flight to Caracas and M Island in one day.

We decided not to invest because we of the political climate although the locals and expats we met said politics stays on the mainland. We were still apprehensive about the possibilty of Chavez deciding U.S. devils should not own property in Vn.

Our overall feeling ...again based on limited time in both places...we felt safer and the people seemed friendlier in the DR.
Super excellent post.
One could not ask for a more elaborate & unbiased assessment.

Elwanderer

Apr 21, 2007

Thanks very much. This is the kind of personal experience I was hoping to hear reported. It looks like the air trip will be more of a hassle and more than twice as costly, although the accomodations and most everything else seem to be less costly.

I would like to know the real estate agent although I wouldn't be ready to buy for a while. I would like to know what the prices and availability of condos are.

Gary

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Gary, and all readers go to Viviun... this is an international real estate listing
And it's also a way to become a Realtor as no Licences are required in these places.

Just a thought

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
Thanks very much. This is the kind of personal experience I was hoping to hear reported. It looks like the air trip will be more of a hassle and more than twice as costly, although the accomodations and most everything else seem to be less costly.

I would like to know the real estate agent although I wouldn't be ready to buy for a while. I would like to know what the prices and availability of condos are.

Gary

Viviun the Leader in International Property Listings

Just in case.......

Status
Not open for further replies.